What's new
What's new

lining up cheapo pillow blocks

powerglider

Stainless
So I'm modifying my sewing machine to slow it down considerably and decided the way I want to do it with by double pulley system. For the system I chose to use some pillow block bearings that have 3/4" shaft diameter.
It's my first time using these and looks like one is slightly off square. From reading these are supposed to "float" to "self align".

So do I first place them on a nice heavy duty milling table with T-slots and line the bolts and then use a long(ish) 3/4" shaft to have leverage and then push through the center bearing shaft holes to line it up? Then pull out and assemble on the sewing machine table.

If I try on the sewing machine directly it would be awkward and not sure how much force is needed to nudge these to align with say 3-4" between pillow bearing blocks.

So I'm modifying my sewing machine to slow it down considerably and decided the way I want to do it with by double pulley system. For the system I chose to use some pillow block bearings that have 3/4" shaft diameter.
It's my first time using these and looks like one is slightly off square. From reading these are supposed to "float" to "self align".

So do I first place them on a nice heavy duty milling table with T-slots and line the bolts and then use a long(ish) 3/4" shaft to have leverage and then push through the center bearing shaft holes to line it up? Then pull out and assemble on the sewing machine table.

If I try on the sewing machine directly it would be awkward and not sure how much force is needed to nudge these to align with say 3-4" between pillow bearing blocks.

I have a set for 1 1/2" shafting. Arrived cocked. Were movable by hand. Yours may be as well once the FIRST move unsticks them. Not complicated. Bearing is just carried in a partial sphere swiveling in its housing. "Float" is angular. Only.

If parallelism to another shaft is required? One may still need shims, ability to slide the mounting fasteners. Both. Or neither.

not sure i understand correctly. usually i adjust pillow block all the way and make a mark and adjust all the way other direction and make a mark and put it in the center

Back