What's new
What's new

OT: tv show Off Limits explores old machine shop

Abom79

Stainless
I just watched the episode of Discovery Channel's show Off Limits where they visit San Francisco. They go to a site known as Pier 70 that used to be run by Union Iron Works and they explore the old machine shop building. The first thing I noticed was the huge lathe still sitting near the middle of the shop. I couldnt tell what make it is, but its very interesting to see, and oddly enough the only machine left in the building. They also still have the massive 30ton bridge crane still there. They did a great job of recongnizing the importance of the "machinist" who worked there and helped to build the fleet of Navy ships.
I highly suggest if you get a chance to watch this episode to check it out. :cheers:

I tried to take a couple screenshots of the big lathe with my phone to show off too.

pier70machineshop1.jpg

pier70machineshop2.jpg

Looks like a Niles. Wonder if Pier 70 is Hunters Point? Enpro Systems bought 4 whopper machines from their when I worked for them in the 90s. Just one of them that looked like the planet's largest press brake weighed 335 tons.

J.O.

Looks like a Niles. Wonder if Pier 70 is Hunters Point? Enpro Systems bought 4 whopper machines from their when I worked for them in the 90s. Just one of them that looked like the planet's largest press brake weighed 335 tons.

J.O.

No, Pier 70 is not part of Hunter's Point. They are adjacent, only a couple miles apart. Pier 70 was/is civilian, while Hunter's point was naval.

I've been inside quite a few "off limits" buildings in those neighborhoods, and they are wonderful.

Abom 79 and Company --

San Francisco's Union Iron Works -- which for most of the 20th century was more commonly known as "Bethlehem", "Bethlehem Shipyard", or "Bethlehem Shipbuilding" -- included, in addition to the Pier 70 property, the Hunters Point land and facilities that were later sold to the Navy. A vestige of the original operates today, as "BAE Systems San Francisco Ship Repair".

More photos, including interior photos of the Pier 70 Machine Shop, are available from the following websites:

Bethlehem Shipyard Historical Museum »

Pier 70 Website Homepage

John

Back