What's new
What's new

OT Obsolete Military Hardware

Millit

Plastic
Does anybody have a good source for obsolete military hardware? I am trying to locate some captive screws without any luck. Quantity is small (6ps).

If you want to be more specific on the screws someone might be able to help better.

There is a real surplus store not far from me that might have something like that. Call Delk's
Army Navy Surplus at(336)629-0991.

Steve.

Did you check McMaster-Carr? If not and you need the real surplus stuff then I would probably start with what the end item is and start looking for companies that sell the surplus parts.

Is there a Mil Standard number for these? You can try checking the Mil Standard database if you are looking for exact specs.

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/online/start/

Rick

Deutsch, they're somewhere in LA. Hopefully not burnt up. There are dozens of different configurations of captive screws. Do you have a pic or a dimensioned drawing you can post? Any chance of making them yourself? The government supports it's equipment until all units are out of service. Then spare parts are surplused to buyers. A captive screw is something that won't go obsolete any time soon. They're probably still in production somewhere. Just don't buy the stuff made overseas. WWQ

Edit: If you're really at the end of your rope, check this guy out.
http//membersaol.com/MVehicle/home.htm

If you can identify what the piece of mil equipment is, it is likely that we could be of further help. Your problem is not unique. Sometimes these screws get damaged and fall off. There are lots of advertisers in "Military Vehicles" magazine. WWQ

The part Number is FCS90043-06-2-2. The best way to describe it is as a knurled panel fastener that flares in. Similar to a Dzus or Southco.

Millit, Are you familiar with the H4 part number list system for the military? I.E. Pencil, lead, od green. etc. If you can find that list on line, you can find out who makes the part via manufacturer's code. Have you tried doing a google on the part number itself? Are we looking at the southco flared aluminum internal spring threaded panel fastener? Installed with a special flaring tool? OR the dzus quarter turn auto locking by a detent? WWQ

FCS90043-06-2-2 sounds like a manufacturers part number. Parts numbers for the military use the FSC or NSN system.

Rick

FSC is Federal Supply Class. I don't deal with it enough to tell you how to convert it to a part number. I believe FSC is part of a NSN and I may be able to get more info if you can come up with the NSN.

Rick

Millit, If you could identify what piece of military hardware this screw is attached to, it may help. Except of course unless it's some strategic equipment destined to be smuggled to Iran and labeled "cookies". WWQ

I work for the military in supply. I don't know what program Steve ran your part number on, but I have FedLog (crosses Part Numbers to National Stock Numbers - NSN) on my office computer. I'll see what I can find for you.

I don't suppose you would have the five digit CAGE (Commercial and Government Entity) code, would you? It may be all numbers or a combination of letters and numbers.

Mike

I ran the part number. That exact part number did not cross over to anything. I did a wild card search by FCS and found a whole bunch of matches that use a similar structure in part numbers. Anyway...it appears that this company supplied the fasteners:

Fastener Innovation Technology. Here is the website:

http://www.fitfastener.com/intro.htm

Hope this helps.

Mike

Tried DB Roberts first.... No Luck.... FIT Had 9 pcs in stock, and I ordered the 6 I needed. A knucklehead on the floor thought he could use a center punch as a flaring tool. Now I need to find 6 new ones. FIT only has the 3 left.

Back