What's new
What's new

OT: found fire cracker in stove!

Luke

Hot Rolled
I'm on vacation at my folks and moms stove had problems this morning. Dad and I got to working on it and when the top for the burners was lifted there was a fire cracker sitting on top of the insulation!

The stove was bought new about 6 years ago and I know the fire cracker came from neighter me or my little brother. It's not even the standard Black Cat. It looks like a little Reeses Peanut Butter Cup with a wick.

This is one of Amanas flat top canvection ovens. Odd thing to find. Abyone else find something like that in an appliance?

If interested the problem was the 2500 watt burner. The heating element is a corrigated piece that is potted in a shallow pan. It had burnt through in one spot. We'll find out how terribly priced that is tomarrow.

On vacation on the first city of the Mississippi!

Luke

Are you sure it is a firecracker? Maybe it is a sensor. When the flat top (glass top) ranges first came out many years ago they had a sensor in the middle of the burner, under the glass. This was to prevent a run away burner from over heating. It has been over twenty years since I have repaired appliances. Maybe things have changed some now.

Bill

Well, Grandma told my son to throw it away and I just gave him the go ahead to did it out. He's ten and was quite relieved to see what would happen. It's wick took off and sputtered a few times and then it blew in half. Not much of a bang- but it had soaked in taco grease for a few hours.

I think some board factory worker put it in there.

Luke

If you want strange things found in odd places, we had one at work. Our 30 or 40 year old furnace was acting up. Our maintenance guy and the boiler mechanics we called were both stumped. The building was getting colder and colder in the middle of an Iowa winter night and the hours kept ticking by.

After about the fifth or tenth attempt to start it up, they finally concluded we were not getting enough gas. So they opened the gas regulator/meter outside the furnace room. And inside it they found a 30 or 40 year old potato chip bag that was hindering the flow. Now where did that come from?

A young kid was being trained to fire a 50cal mg
on the missile deck, he freaks out loses control of the weapon and shoots through the flight deck,
meanwhile a 2nd class radioman wandered back from the head only to find his rack riddled with three 50 cal rounds. He was only away from his rack about two minutes.
I spent the next day making training stops for the mount.

A few years ago the navy out here at china lake got some old tanks for use as test targets.
As they were setting one up for a target on the range. One of the crew opened the main gun breach and found a live cannon round. By the pattern and amount of corrosion on the brass case of the round it had been in the gun for years.
This crew was lucky that the guy that opened the breach was a ex marine that wondered why the breach was closed.
Other dangerous things have been found in these old tanks. like blocks of old C4, hand grenades, anti tank mines, and rattle snakes.

Back in the early 1960s when I was a 'prentice I helped move a big old belt-driven shaper.

Under it I found an 1870 2-cent penny. Still got it somewhere in the house.

There was also the remains of a very dead mouse and lots of old oil.

Stan Db

After 4 years of service, the shipyard began a rebuild of the 10 cyl. opposed piston Fairbanks-Morse diesels that served as auxilliary and emergency power on the DEG that I was stationed on.

Resting in the cup formed by one of the (roughtly) one foot diameter up-side down pistons was a 12" 3/4 socket extension.

It had had no adverse effect on the engine's performance.

These were the same model diesel used in WWII subs.

Wally.

My dad is a plumbing inspector for the State of Mi. He told me of a new building which was put up and 6 months to a year later they started to have problems with aerators on faucets and such plugging up. After much searching it was found that a raccoon had crawled into the main one night b-4 all the pipes were hooked up and it had taken that long to start deteriorating and miscellanous parts sloughing off & wreaking havoc. Needless to say the office gals were NOT impressed.

A friend bought a new Ford pickup in the late '60s. It had a rattle in the door that he took to the dealer and complained about. After a few complaints to the dealer with no results he finally took the door panel off and found a beer can in there with a couple of nuts or washers in it with a note rubber banded to the outside which read " Bet you had a fun time finding this."
lg
no neat sig line

A young kid was being trained to fire a 50cal mg
on the missile deck, he freaks out loses control of the weapon and shoots through the flight deck,
meanwhile a 2nd class radioman wandered back from the head only to find his rack riddled with three 50 cal rounds. He was only away from his rack about two minutes.
I spent the next day making training stops for the mount.
Young guy at my old work years ago really hated to be called "gunner", which was a nickname apparently from exactly that sort of mishap. He was ex-Navy, IIRC. Wonder if it could be the same guy.......

My Dad bought a '69 Pontiac Bonneville brand new, and it had a stench in the trunk that wouldn't quit. After the second trip back to the dealer in as many days, they pulled up the trunk mat and found the rotting remains of someone's fried chicken lunch, complete with "the Colonel's" wrappers. Came back from the dealership cleaned and with 3 "Christmas Trees" hanging from the mirror, and it still took awhile before it smelt acceptable in there. They blamed Detroit, but if it was Detroit, it should have been obvious a lot sooner. - JM

Quotes:

"After the second trip back to the dealer in as many days, they pulled up the trunk mat and found the rotting remains of someone's fried chicken lunch, complete with "the Colonel's" wrappers."

and

"After a few complaints to the dealer with no results he finally took the door panel off and found a beer can in there with a couple of nuts or washers in it with a note rubber banded to the outside which read ' Bet you had a fun time finding this.'"

And management thinks they won the negotations.

just last week we were gutting the wheelhouse of a drill ship that was built sometime in the fifties, i found two coca-cola bottles hidden among the insulation.

Back