What's new
What's new

Logan lathe spindle taper wobble

Aykfc

Aluminum
Hello. I have an 1875 10" Logan made around 1969. It's in really good condition and I got it 18 months ago. The issue I have is with the MT3 taper inside the head stock. There is significant wobble that you can see. Tried it with multiple MT3 tapers and all of them have issues. I measured just inside the spindle and the indicator moved .008 as I turned the spindle. Outside seems to be good. I have cleaned it inside and still have the issue. I feel several grooves as I feel further back. I thought they were how the spindle was designed but I am wondering if it's possible if a previous owner decided to bore out the spindle to try and get it a little bit wider. I will try and take some pictures if it might help. I don't know what a normal 10" spindle should look like so it's hard to tell. If the inside is screwed up and I find a replacement spindle, how hard would it be to replace it?

Sounds to me like 1 or more of the following.

The spindle is bent in the middle, not THAT hard to do on a light lathe - a clock on the pulley's middle sheave might give you an idea

It was a badly machined taper to start with .and missed QC etc etc etc

At some time or other a tool had been ''spun'' in the taper, ...........usually caused by the taper socket not being 100% clean when the tool went in IME easily done on a lathe with all the chips flying about.

There are probably more but those come to mind

So many people aren't even aware the spindle has a taper anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if someone waller'd it out to get a bigger piece of material into the chuck. So, the taper wouldn't seat squarely. If it's bad enough, you could re-grind the taper a little deeper with an ID tool post grinder and taper attachment. Just KNOW what the problem is before you do.

WTF over! This is the third post in a week that's got "wobble" in the title.

Me thinks we have a troll in our midst.

keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-trolls-2.png

Can you post the serial number ? It is stamped on top by the tailstock.

I am at work right now and don't remember it exactly but the first two numbers of it are 85xxx. According to a chart I found it was made in 1969. I do have a toolpost grinder and taper attachment. I was considering seeing if I could use the toolpost grinder to clean it up a bit. Not sure what kind of wheel would be best for it.

WTF over! This is the third post in a week that's got "wobble" in the title.

Me thinks we have a troll in our midst.

keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-trolls-2.png

I am not a troll (or a Russian troll:stirthepot:) but if the term "wobble" offends you so much, I will strive to make sure wobble is no longer in my wobbly vocabulary.

Back