What's new
What's new

Looking for a 3/16" stub corncob rougher for aluminum, anyone?

DavidScott

Diamond
I have a production part that I need to slot .235" deep in 6061 with the least cutter force and absolute least lifting from the cutter. I think a corncob rougher is the best tool design for the job, correct me if I am wrong, but the only one I have found is Accupro from MSC. Suggestions please! This will be a long running job, like endless, so shaving a few seconds off each part is worth it.

This is a .24"ish x 1" x 6.25" bar that I am making from a 12"x12.9" plate held down with vacuum and stops/clamps on all sides catching the bottom .05" of the plate. All surfaces must be machined and cosmetically appealing. I am currently using regular length corncob mills from Maritool but when I try pushing them, more than a .0014" chipload, they snap off at the end of the flutes. I can't saw it because I have a vertical mill and will be slotting in both X and Y axis.

Last edited:
David,
Try Lake Shore carbide, they have the "fireplug" series of roughers. Even though they are 4 flute, I use them in everything from 6061, to 6Al-4v.

Best of luck

Chris

Would a "regular" but reverse helix endmill do you any good? If you have plenty of coolant flow it should clear the chips anyway, and the reverse helix will push the plate down and allow you to up the feed to the tool's limit.

Harvey makes "downcut" endmills for plastics, might work OK for your Al job.

Harvey Tool - Carbide Plastic Cutting End Mills - Square Downcut 2 Flute
I don't think a downcut mill would work, the bottom of the slot is only around .015" thick and the current tool is bulging the foil already. Speaking of Harvey I am trying one of their 3/16" 5 flute finishers on this job, interesting tool.

David,
Try Lake Shore carbide, they have the "fireplug" series of roughers. Even though they are 4 flute, I use them in everything from 6061, to 6Al-4v.

Best of luck

Chris
Thanks, for $15 it is worth a try, the .312" LOC looks good. The Accupro mills are $49:eek:.

Back