What's new
What's new

Looking for a drill sharpener

willy_bob

Plastic
Hey guys, we're in the market for a new drill sharpener for our shop and haven't seen much of a choice besides the Oliver sharpeners. Needing one that will sharpen up to 3" at least. Was wondering what sharpeners you all use at your shops or have any others that are good brands. Or if anyone knows where you can get parts and grinding wheels for a Mohawk model 100 sharpener. Thanks in advanced!

The sellers was a good big drill sharpener..Yes not a production machine but for one-ups.
and it does not thin the web.
Buying any older machine be sure you can find grinding wheels at catalog..

What's wrong with the Oliver model 700 ?

Old line American company, they offer rebuilt machines as well.

Maybe segregate your drills, up to 1 1/2"-2", and send the larger ones out.

I like the Oliver machines along with their drill sharpener.. Good The Oliver 700 has a chuck and not bushing to be replace and think it goes to 4" (?) ..That it still has parts and support is a good factor..I don't know if Sellers has that..likely not.. The sellers floor model would be needed for 3" not the bench model, never ran a sellers bench model..

I've driven a couple of Oliver 600's.

Once you install the drill in the chuck, swing the alignment
bar down (doubles as the wheel dresser).

You hit start, carefully crank the drill into the wheel, and upon
contact, pull the air feed, and walk away.

Come back in a minute or so, and remove the correctly sharpened
drill.

Thanks for the input. There isn't anything wrong with the Oliver I'm actually trying to get them to get that one if it isn't to pricey, just the only one I've been able to find for what we need so far. Didn't know if there were any other brands that could handle bigger bits and do a good job.

As far as getting a smaller one and then sending out the big drills that isn't much of an option for us would be to costly for as much big drilling as we do. Also most the time we need one sharpened right then and don't have time to wait.

Michiganbuck, the Oliver 600 has a chuck on it as well from what I've seen doesn't it?

Buy an Oliver off the e bay and have it refurbished for $16k......

I think I’ve got a quote somewhere..new one....$35k for the 4”........several years ago...

Buy a point grinder / point thinner to compliment the drill grinder...

After using an Oliver to sharpen drills for ten years, it makes me wonder what I’ld do without it...

If my people skills were better, I could get purchasing to buy me their tool grinder....

Model 600 is 3” , it cost extra for the 4” option...

I thought the model 700 added point thinning to the
model 600.

Or was it a double angle option ?

Plus 1 on the Oliver machines, I've been using one for years. Call them up and you'll get answers from the people who build them. Mary at at the front desk, Neal and Dale out in the shop. Either new or rebuilt as new machines, in stock parts and friendly tech support that's so hard to find these days. No, I'm not related, just glad to put in a plug for some folks who still do business the way it should be done. Jim

Hey guys, my shop is trying to sell an Oliver Drill sharpener. I think it’s the 600 model. But it’s in damn good shape! My email is [email protected] if you want to check it out! I would drop a pic here, but not sure how! Thanks!

Back