What's new
What's new

welding smoke and oil smoke removal

Kevin Q

Aluminum
I have built a small shop onto my garage (23' x 24') and have a 17" x 74" LeBlond lathe and a series 1 Bridgeport. Also plan on doing what welding I need to do to support the machine work. The ceiling height is 13' at the peak. I am pretty crowded with press, saw, etc. and am looking for a way to remove smoke from all 3 generating sources. That small a shop gets cloudy pretty quickly! I think a rolling unit would take more floor space than I have at present.

Also, a pleated filter would clog pretty quickly with the oily smoke from the lathe and mill. I could go through the roof if there was something that would swivel/raise/lower. Then air would be unfiltered but would be pulling heated air out of the shop in the winter. I have a MicroAir unit at my day job but the mounting is far different from what I could pull off at home.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Quicky

We run a filter cart with a nice angle poise arm at work. Sucks up oily weld fumes a treat, but gotta remember its only removing the solids, gasses do pass and thats were dangers start IMHO especialy in a inclosed space. Ok we could add a carbon filter which would help further, but generaly nasty stuff is welded under the extractor that vents out side. Yep we lose the heat, but have no issues about breathing the unfiltrable stuff for the rest of the day. Personaly i rate good extraction outside and any form of radiant heating as the best approach. Extraction needs to be at source or as near as possible.

Welding realy does need the fumes vented. Especialy if its non ferrous - stainless - alu - lead rich alloys. Filtering helps, but its not 100% and the residues build up fast in concentrations in a enclosed space.

Not trying to be a smart ass:

If you're making a lot of smoke while machining, I'd suggest slowing down or whatever you need to do to not smoke the place out.

Why the hell is this drill bit so hot that it's smoking like a shit bird?

If you have to do operations that smoke a lot, think about rigging up a real coolant system. Your parts will come out better and your tools will last longer.

welding and machining smoke:

I am using a 1965 LeBlond, open back - open front. Coolant makes a real mess. Just threading with oil makes a lot of smoke in a small room and I turn as fast as I possibly can for surface finish reasons, coolant goes everywhere. Rigging a shield makes a safety hazard should a cont. chip get wrapped around it. This isn't a CNC machine with guards and covers.

I started my apprenticeship in 1970 and have never turned on a CNC in my life...I am a dinosaur but am going to supplement my retirement with a trade I love. All my work is onesy - twosey anyway.

I still do need a mechanism to remove smoke. Quicky

I use a Honeywell electrostatic air cleaner in the center of my shop, works great. A shop nearby just put a home electrostatic air filter on the air intake of their shop furnace and it does well until several welders weld at the same time. That should work for you working alone. If you don't have forced hot air heat maybe you could build a small air circulation unit out of a squirrel cage blower and mount the electrostatic unit on that.

Now that smoking in bars is banned maybe you can buy some used smokeeaters cheap?

I went through the same process when I needed exhaust for welding . I think it's pretty obvious that one needs to remove the smoke rather than filter it out, so filtration arrangements were not even considered. To filter air efficiently one'd need to spend a fortune.

I thought about and experimented with different "swivel-raise-lower" intakes and figured out that a simple DIY hood with intake at the ceiling level worked quite efficiently, didn't require extra efforts to engage/position/store and didn't take precious space. When I weld in the winter, I simply turn a large exhaust fan that sucks the air from my 4'x4' DIY hood located above my welding area and throws it outside through a roof vent.

Naturally, when the fan is on, hot air is partially lost in the winter (and moist air gets into my dehumidified garage shop in the summer), so I run it only when I really need it.

If you want to keep it low scale and have space, you might run a hose to pick up smoke right at the point of origin and blow it out with something like a squirrel cage fan.

Attachments

• Exhaust hood.jpg
    Exhaust hood.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 4,851

Back