What's new
What's new

Looking for info for Index model 40 vert lathe.

challenger

Stainless
Maybe this should go in the antique forum???
I am taking apart a model 40 vert mill for cleaning and repaint. I've had it for nearly 10 years sitting in my shop collecting dust. I recently got a hair to get it up and running but I have to clean it properly before doing so and I may as well put a coat of paint on it because what's there is almost completely gone or lose enough to flake off by touch.
I noticed a lot of backlash I the X axis and I'm about to remove the table. I haven't measured the leads screw yet but I can see it's worn.
If there is anyone with intimate knowledge of these old relics I'd appreciate some information about parts and/or repair.
BTW I purchased the $40.00 manual years ago but misplaced it. I see no reason to purchase another given the limited info that is contained.
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Forgive me for asking, but isn't the model 40 a milling machine?
Blank & Buxton (Wells Index) 40-H Miller
JR
Thanks I made the corrections.
Damn keyboard I use "memories" words used with other words and the frequency in how often. Somehow I typed "vert" and things went lathewise. I should proofread every time I I touch a key. One bad stroke decision might land me on some DOJ watch list [emoji4]

Just another reason I don't have a F@#$kin smart phone!
The government keeps track of me anyway. Something to do with me building nukes.
JR

No worries, they chipped you when you went to the machining expo , you were staring at the "booth babes".....:D

No worries, they chipped you when you went to the machining expo , you were staring at the "booth babes".....:D

And here I thought it was the aliens that put the chip in me. Damn thing showed up again last time I was in the hospital. On the helicopter flight there, the pilont complained that his avionics weren't right.

I also have a Index model 40H. You can reduce the backlash by pouring Babbitt into the lead screw nut. Remove the nut and the lead screw from the machine. Thoroughly clean both the nut and lead screw. Soot up the lead screw with a Oxygen-Acetylene torch. Screw the nut onto the lead screw (down to the least worn section of the lead screw) Use modeling clay to seal up the ends of the nut and pour Babbitt into the nut. If the clearance is to tight you can lap the nut with a little polishing compound.
M Hooper

Thanks.
Can you offer additional information on this mill? I have it nearly completely apart and am slowly cleaning and getting ready for repaint. I have a problem with the tilting shaft. The taper pin on the head end got sheared off at some point in its life. I got the shaft out but I can't seem to get the arm and gear on the back end off the shaft. I've got a puller on it but I'm afraid I'll break the gear. In order to reassemble the head with the tilting mechanism workable the taper pin has to be in the head end and the shaft inserted front to back.
I also am missing the stops for the table feed. Any photos of these?
Thanks

The shaft that tilts the head has tapered pins on both ends, one to hold the gear on and one to hold the flange that the head bolts to.

The shaft that tilts the head has tapered pins on both ends, one to hold the gear on and one to hold the flange that the head bolts to.
Yes this I know. It was the pin that secures the flange that holds the head on the shaft that sheared off. I got it all apart now and removed the broken pin pieces from the flange and the shaft.

Greetings!
I also have problems with the tilting mechanism in my Model 40. It doesn't engage when straight up or tilting left, engages just partially when it tilted to the right. Will know more when I install it in my garage and open it up.

Back