What's new
What's new

Looking for information on a Swiss Machinery Manufacturer Schaffner

RayG

Hot Rolled
I'm trying to find out some information on a machine manufacturer. The company name is Schaffner, they made mills and other machines, including cylindrical grinders, but aside from a few scattered references to various mills they made, I'm drawing a blank.

There is a Schaffner Machine Company in St Louis Mo, but unrelated to the Swiss manufacturer as far as I can tell..

They were in business in the 1960's, so maybe they have gone broke, or merged with someone else...

The specific machine I'm trying to get information on is a Schaffner Cylindrical Grinder.

Schaffner.JPG

Ray

From a few scattered clues, I think they went out of business in the 1990's, so I suspect this is a fruitless search.

So, does any one know the correct German word for "Cylindrical Grinder" ? Is it... Rundschleifmaschine ?

Being a Swiss Machine, maybe I need the French terms as well...

All the controls are hydraulic, hundreds of tiny pipes and switches, flow control knobs.. not looking forward to tracing the hydraulic cicrcuits...

What I’ve found out is that Schaffner Technology, Schönenwerd, has been taken over by a Max Kuhn of Suhr in 1992-93. In 1994 the firm was changed to Schaffner & Kuhn Technology, Inc., and moved to Aarau. That company was cancelled with the register of commerce per December 27, 2004.

One of their mills looks similar to the Schäublin 13 which, of course, goes back to the great American pioneer machines of Thiel, Pratt & Whitney, and more.
I am somewhat at war with my confederates who believe the Swiss were the greatest in machine manufacture. I can’t find a good translation of the french word borné.

What I’ve found out is that Schaffner Technology, Schönenwerd, has been taken over by a Max Kuhn of Suhr in 1992-93. In 1994 the firm was changed to Schaffner & Kuhn Technology, Inc., and moved to Aarau. That company was cancelled with the register of commerce per December 27, 2004.

One of their mills looks similar to the Schäublin 13 which, of course, goes back to the great American pioneer machines of Thiel, Pratt & Whitney, and more.
I am somewhat at war with my confederates who believe the Swiss were the greatest in machine manufacture. I can’t find a good translation of the french word borné.

Thank you for that clue.. I found Schaffner + Kuhn on the wayback machine.. Schaffner + Kuhn Technology AG - Homepage

No manuals... but one step closer.

so what model exactly is your rundschleifmaschine?

Hi Dian,

The label says the model type is RIS

IMG_1001s.JPG IMG_1002s.JPG

It has the internal grinding spindle attachment, and can do internal and external tapers.

I think it takes W20 collets, (at least that's what I measure?) but came with a 3 jaw chuck and no collets.

Ray

RIS appears to mean Rund- und Innenschleifmaschine, round and inner (round) grinding machine.

Schönenwerd is in the canton of Solothurn. The founder was Ernst Schaffner, born 1901, died June 2, 1967.
A contract dated June 25, 1943, is noted with the liquidation terms of 1992. That could have been the incorporation.

They also made a mill in the Deckel style, about FP3 size. I know this as I almost bought one about 15 years ago from a dealer in Lexington, SC. Was a beautiful looking modern mill (late 70's vintage as I recall), using Reeves drive rather than the more typical for that style mill, gear drive. The down side was the drive was amazingly noisey ....not from wear but just poor design I think.

So I passed on it, figuring no one on Earth but me would want the damn thing, so was waiting for the price to come way down, but to my surprise the rather pricey orphan sold for what they were asking.....naturally to some nutty Canadian. :stirthepot:

UD66576.jpg

RIS appears to mean Rund- und Innenschleifmaschine, round and inner (round) grinding machine.

Schönenwerd is in the canton of Solothurn. The founder was Ernst Schaffner, born 1901, died June 2, 1967.
A contract dated June 25, 1943, is noted with the liquidation terms of 1992. That could have been the incorporation.

My machine was made in 1964, so Ernst Schaffner would have been 63 at the time, younger than I am today. :)

I can understand why their mills would be sought after, the build quality is first class.

Here is a link to several thousand manuals of mills, lathes, machines of all types.. etc.. etc.. you name it it's there, ( well except for Schaffner... ) https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=547FE296ECFD561F&mkt=en-US

Ray

PS.. It's possible that you might need a microsoft onedrive account to see it.

Hello mr RayG is there any chance you can re share the given link? As i am searching for the Ernault lathe... and the given share folder is now empty :/

Back