What's new
What's new

Structural connection to pipe

rke[pler

Diamond
I'm mounting a weather station remote on my roof, replacing a free standing mount I made from pressure treated 4x4 that warped like crazy (badly enough that it was able to blow over). The sensor I'm mounting mounts to a vertical 1" pipe, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount that pipe on the roof. The only thing I see that I can tie to is a run of 1" pipe for a gas line, and there's a convenient 90 degree about where I'd like to mount this.

So, a couple of questions:

Would mounting a 5' mast on a gas line violate code?

What would you use to mechanically couple the vertical pipe to the existing pipe? It presents a reasonable amount of sail area (it's a wind speed and direction sensor) so I was thinking of mounting it on the inside of the 90 at right angles to both of the lines on the 90.

Short of that - any other ideas? I've replaced a couple of wind sensors and would like to not replace more. I need the wind sensor above the roof (flat roof) and since a temp sensor mounts to the post I can't really tie to the chimney. There's really nothing else on the roof to tie to, and I really hate the idea of cutting a hole in the roof.

2 or 3 U bolts ought to do the job.
I have no idea if its legal, but I cant see big danger to it.

I mounted mine with the rain gage and wind sensor on the same mount, so I made a sloped sheet metal base, with a flat shelf welded on it, and welded the mounting pipe right to that. Its about 16" square, and screws down to the roof in about six places- and it hasnt blown down yet- about ten years now, and in the winter we routinely get 40 to 50mph wind.
But my pipe holding the wind sensor is only about 2 feet long.

I did have the little blade blow right off the anemometer once- I just put it back, and retightened the little set screw, and it has been fine for the last couple of years.

Back