What's new
What's new

morse taper drills (not morse taper shanks)

Morse Taper #2 or whatever

The normal practice in forming a Morse Taper socket is to step drill the hole and then create the taper with the appropriate MT socket reamer. These can be obtained in a roughing and finishing option.

If a cylindrical type object like an extension or normal sleeve is being made then boring in the lathe will probably be quicker and then finishing with the reamer. There are test pieces available for checking the accuracy of the tapered hole.

It is not normal to expect a drill which cuts on its end to cut a tapered hole.

I've never seen one Rob, not to say they don't exist though,.....MMMMM- thinking about it they'd have to be LH spiral otherwise they'll tend to ''pull in'' so getting a drill ground doesn't sound a good idea,

However I've done this and it worked.

Step drill the hole in 5 or 6 stages, with careful bit of measuring regarding dia and depth, then use an MT roughing reamer followed by the finisher (MSC etc can supply)

You CAN if pushed just use the finisher, BUT it needs more steps and is still hard going.

Hope my 2 cents helps, take care.

WOW you gotta be quick round here.

Last edited:
We always just drilled the hole a bit smaller than the small end and then reamed it for the pin. #2 didnt take too long. We did the same with #3 but always tried to avoid the job.

good info from both of you, thanks.
I guess what I was really thinking was more of a Milling tool that can use its' sides to cut as well as the tip. Any more good ideas?

Rob

taper pin reaming does just about what you mention. The sides do the cutting, as the hole opens up, more of the reamer is in contact cutting. If the end is doing the cutting, the starter hole is too small. Use lots of oil

That is an interesting suggestion Rob. I can't see a problem in using a two cutting edge end mill or a slot drill as we call them to do a plunge cut with the canted head of a Bridgeport with the job rotated by power feed in a rotary table. The tricky part would be how to cut the tapered hole to depth by using the end of the tool. Maybe a special rotary table with an inclinable base?

Tapered drills are available for drilling morse taper holes.It is still normal practice to finish with a reamer,although I think I would prefer to drill undersize and take a truing cut with a tool before reamering.
Mark.

I have never seen a drill that cuts a Morse taper hole. But I do have a set of drills that cut standard taper pin holes, taper and all. I don't think I have ever used one of them, since I have not made a pinned joint in the years since I got the drill set. I also have, and have used, both hand and machine reamers for taper pins, which need a drilled hole to start.

If my taper pin drill bits work OK, then I suppose versions could be made for other standard tapers. Probably the idea works best on slight tapers.

Larry

Larry, like the other contributor pointed out, the reamers and likewise the drills should have straight flutes or helices opposite to the cutting edges.

Did you notice this characteristic on your tapered pin hole drills? I've got a few dapered bridge reamers (5 flute) and I think they have a left hand helix.

Back