What's new
What's new

General Electric Induction Motors

KCrusius

Plastic
Hey all, I've got 3 GE induction motors, used to be hooked up to an old lathe. Their tags are intact but google is no help for trying to research these things.
Can anyone help? Date/value would be appreciated. I know that they haven't run in quite some time but they've sat sheltered for years (possibly serviceable). Still greased up!
I know what they are and what the tags say, just having a hard time finding out their age and value.

Hard to help you with no information.

What do the tags say? I have some old GE catalogs; maybe these motors will be listed there.

Rule of thumb in my experience on old motor pricing is about $10/HP.
If something special or right place right time you could get more.
Likewise they often sell for less to free when unwanted.

No they're still coated in grease from the last time they were used (20ish years ago) I'm looking for manufactured dates and value based on the tags, google is a black hole when I try to enter the info

manufactured dates and value

You have one GE with a patent date of 1900 and a serial of 7XXXXX

You haeve another GE with a serial of 8XXXXX

You have to assume these are from the teens - or earlier - very likely well over 100 years old

They are not serviceable in any commercial sense simply due to age and unknown condition

So - to set a value, you have to find at least one party that wants very old and likely unserviceable motors. That party will have a very good idea of what he is willing to pay, and it will not be much.

No interested party simply means no value

If you scrap them, save the brass tags!

If you scrap a funky old motor with a brass rating plate, be sure to carefully remove the rating plate before consigning it to the junk heap! The plates are held on with "drive pins" - a search of this forum will reveal methods to remove such pins without harming the plate. These pins are a press-fit (drive-fit) into unthreaded holes. Some of the pins have a twisted-square cross section, but not all.

1900 patent date implies manufacture before the expiration of the patent, which would have expired in 1917 ! (There's no point in going to the expense of marking the patent date after the patent has expired!)

The $10 per horsepower sounds a good rule of thumb for useable motors between 1 and 15 HP. Below 1 HP, you'd rarely see a useable industrial-type motor for less than $10.

John R.

Back