What's new
What's new

Looking for universal adhesive

brucecu

Aluminum
I want to bond urethane polishing pads to a steel mandrel. The pads will be subjected to fairly high shear stress. Environment is lapping oil or water based coolant with approx. 1% by volume ethanolamine, triamine and some proprietary EP lubricants. Ideally adhesive will be fast setting with viscosity less than 5000 cp. Anaerobics are marginal softening over the course of an hour when exposed to coolant. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Urethane melts and then solidifies back to original strength. It can be bonded to perforated metal or to woven wire mesh using heat. the screen or mesh can first be brazed or welded to a mandrel, or the end of the mandrel can be machined with a series of undercut grooves or holes.

I use urethane belts that are made endless by welding and know the joint is as strong as the rest of the belt.

Larry

I want to bond urethane polishing pads to a steel mandrel. The pads will be subjected to fairly high shear stress. Environment is lapping oil or water based coolant with approx. 1% by volume ethanolamine, triamine and some proprietary EP lubricants. Ideally adhesive will be fast setting with viscosity less than 5000 cp. Anaerobics are marginal softening over the course of an hour when exposed to coolant. Any ideas?

Have you checked the offerings from Universal Photonics? Polishing pad mounting adhesive is quite common.

urethane

i have casted polyurethane to steel before and it works best if steel is grooved so polyurethane has more gripping power. usually not very strong if steel is smooth surface.
if smooth it is like electrical tape bond, too easy to peel off

Urethane melts and then solidifies back to original strength. It can be bonded to perforated metal or to woven wire mesh using heat. the screen or mesh can first be brazed or welded to a mandrel, or the end of the mandrel can be machined with a series of undercut grooves or holes.

I use urethane belts that are made endless by welding and know the joint is as strong as the rest of the belt.

Larry
Yessir! I keep some discarded surfboard leashes around. They can be cut and thermo welded like you said and can save ones bacon when a vee belt takes a crap and there is no way to find another in time.

Back