What's new
What's new

Looking at used CMM

gbuerkle

Plastic
Hi, I'm looking at a used Sheffield Cordax 1805 CMM. I have never owned or used a CMM before, and I don't have much knowledge of the market. What kind of reputation does this machine have with the members of this forum? What price might be considered reasonable, assuming good condition and ready to run? I don't know what software or PC hardware comes with it. Looking for some ideas as to the relative merits of various makes & models, and whether this particular one is a dog.

thanks
Gus

Sheffield is out of business. I was lucky to have found an ex-sheffield-employee to work on one we had at a shop in Dayton -where the CMM was made. They still have a parts phone number listed but wanted $5K for $800 in air bearings.

The software that came with ours ran on OS2 and was unlike any other programming language I had seen before. It was easy to use manually though and kind of fun. If the software needs updating or worse, if the control is bad, plan on spending way more than you pay for the machine to upgrade. -Mike

Back