What's new

Be on the lookout for two stolen anvils

• Thread starter art_deco_machine
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 5,338
A

art_deco_machine

Seems kind of funny that someone would steal anvils. Maybe it was scrap metal thieves? Here is a pic of one like them:
hoffman_anvil_1.jpg

ABANA stolen anvils

Two anvils that were cast last week for me were stolen over the weekend from the foundry in Struthers, Ohio. They were just broken out of the mold and still had the risers stuck to the side of the anvils that add about about 30 pounds to the weight. The finish weight of the anvils will be around 100 pounds. The pictures below are from one of the first run anvils that was scrapped out by us. The face is a full 5" wide, @ 91/2" long, the horn is @ 41/2" long and has since been rounded more. The Hardy hole is @3/4". These are cast in S7.
You would think someone with a strong enough back to lift 130 lbs could be doing something useful. Or maybe he used a forklift? Anyway, this looks pretty good to me for a 'scrap' anvil. Wonder what was wrong with it? Maybe the wrong shape.

Who makes a 100 lb anvil from $10/lb material?
ok so you did...

And who is gona BUY IT at $1000 + ???

Damn expensive paper weight

Art Deco, Absolutely sick that this has happened. Ill be at the Alabama Blacksmithing Conference next weekend. Certainly will take note of any new colonials! Reckon its somebody associated with the foundry?

I just had my prize bass guitar stolen last Thursday, so I feel your pain... in droves.

That's without doubt an inside job from the sound of it. First off, who would know the alloy to make it worth stealing? Somebody in the foundry had to know. Why steal a pair of 130lb anvils when there must have been tons of smaller, easier to carry stuff around? $20.00 worth of typical scrap at 260lbs vs $2500 worth of anvils. Again, only somebody connected would know the difference. Two people did it. 130lbs x2 for one guy to haul off? I doubt it... 65lbs each? no prob. They are probably out in the garage of somebody local. They will eventually show up at a blacksmithing meet or the new owners will.

I'll keep an eye out, but JL will be the man in this area.

I do a lot of work for foundries and I have to say that this is all too common. The stories I hear are hilarious but sad. Scrap metal yards, around here anyway, are very good at turning in suspected thieves fortunately and most items are returned in a few days. Yet, new thieves (mostly crackheads) keep trying, thinking they can make a quick buck. I'm sure the foundry has already alerted the local scrap dealers. Foundries produce a lot of legitimate scrap for the dealers and they don't want to do anything that would jeopardize future business.

Cast in S-7? 130# of S-7 would be worth a pretty penny
Most likely the S-7 was from short drops,scrapped parts, etc. Speaking of heavy items being stolen, I remember a guy here having a wrecking ball stolen from his yard, years ago. IIRC, he said it was over 800 pounds...

I really doubt he was paying 10 bucks a pound for these- I know the guy who was making these, and he isnt rich.
These are a colonial pattern anvil, and the originals are all over 150 years old, and its almost impossible to find an old one in usable shape at this point.
Jymm Hoffman, whose anvils these were, does historical recreation blacksmithing, and he wanted a historically accurate anvil to use for demonstrations. He has been making period hardware for all the cannons and wagons at Fort Ligonier, in PA.

My guess is these were probably only running him 3 to 4 bucks a pound. My late friend Russel Jaque made anvils from 8640, which is not a whole lot cheaper than S7, and he sold them (and his widow still does) for closer to 5 bucks a pound retail. That is after casting, heat treat, and cleanup.

The trend in anvils today is cast steel of a heat treatable grade, with a target Rockwell of 50 to 55. There are at least 3 american manufacturers, along with several european ones, who are making anvils like this, and they are selling quite well.
And plenty of people plunk down over a grand for an anvil these days- most smiths like a 250lb anvil, and many are going for 400lb or 500lb models. Which usually run at least $1200 to $2000.

It is estimated there are somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 professional and amateur blacksmiths in America today.

Look at swap meets 50 to 100 miles from where they were swiped.
In CA there are people that buy just about anything that can be sold at swap meets. And will give the crook pennies on the dollar and when they get a truck load they will drive to out of town swap meets and sell the load.
Cops only watch for items that were riped off from there town. Not for out of town stuff.
That makes swap meets the safest place to sell hot items

Unfortionately, with the metal prices being what they are these days I think this is going to become all too common.

Of all the things to blame China for, who would have ever expected we could blame them for higher crime rates???

That is the foundry that I used to work for. If they truly got stolen then he left them sit outside after breaking them out of the mold. NEVER had any castings stolen from there in all the time I was there. My gut tells me that he never poured them at all and is making up an excuse to buy him more time. He used to do it all the time when I was there and I expect he still does.

HELLO TO ALL,
i am a member of BAM blacksmiths assoc.
of missouri. i bought an anvil many years
ago from a tailgater. it had been repaired.
he said he milled off the top, and installed
a plate of S-7, then welded it on. this is
air hardening steel. i did not know this could be cast. when it comes from the mold, is it hard? or do you have to do a heat up?
comments please.
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

Rick R., very interesting...I would never have thought of that otherwise...that makes the most sense.

Rick's explanation sounds the most plausible so far...

"Yeah, somebody STOLE those anvils I cast just yesterday. I can have you a couple more but it'll be a few weeks."

If you locked Evan in a room with two anvils you could expect to come back and have one anvil with a pocket drilled in it and a hole in the roof. :D

Him of course with a huge smile on his face asking for help lugging the anvil back over so he could do it again.

Back