What's new
What's new

Low friction surface for wood planer bed

richard newman

Titanium
I want to make an auxiliary plate to sit on the bed of my planer, to eliminate the effect of the bed rolls. Could be aluminum, steel or cast iron, about 20" x 24". it needs to have as low friction as possible. yet be wear resistant or renewable.

I've considered aluminum with a low friction anodize, steel w/chrome plating (altho I think this is usually done for wear resistance. Also considered UHMW self adhesive tape, but that might not hold up for very long. The pressure would be concentrated right under the feed rolls.

Any suggestions or advice are welcome. What would be the absolute lowest friction surface? I'm a one man, one off shop, so it will see very low hours.

I used a piece if 3/4 in high density particle board with "Formica" laminate on both sides to keep it flat.

A wipe with a cloth loaded with talc, and it was good to go. Used it for years with never a problem.
It worked as a sled as well , just turn it over, double side tape to hold small work. (use judgement!)

There is also the option to have the roller height on a quick adjustment scheme. Every planer will be different. One I spent some time with made use of "tumble blocks" to offer three different height settings for the roller without the need to gauge the fine adjustment screws. The "thick" side of the blocks set the rollers below the bed level. It's more difficult to unclamp and move the four blocks than to just slide in a board, but it's an option.

Although I am pretty sure you have already used it and perhaps found it inadequate, I have been very impressed by simply using wax paper quickly rubbed on my Parks planer (old school American iron bought new 35 yrs ago) bed and also on hand plane soles. Occ use it on tablesaw top as well. Most of the time I am in the woodshop I have a small ball of wax paper in my pocket. I think it reduces friction to 1/2 or 1/3 untreated surfaces.

Denis

First of all I believe adding small grooves to the plate as seen on the soles of some planes will reduce friction by reducing contact surface. In the case of cast iron such as a table saw surface wax or coatings definitely help.

As for materials, perhaps this research paper can help.

http://catalog.lib.kyushu-u.ac.jp/handle/2324/23785/p147.pdf

My guess would be steel or cast iron, polished.

Reducing the area of contact will not reduce the friction. Friction force is the product of normal force and coefficient of friction.

I did mine with a piece of cast aluminum tooling plate with " Formica " laminate glued to the plate. Made plate as long as input and out put extensions on each side of bed.

I have used a piece of plywood for this purpose, long strip maybe 6' long, on mine for 20 years. I waxed it once early on and it has always worked very well. Seems very slippery.

All the chutes and passages in sawmills in my region are lined with sheets of UHMW. It outlasts steel in terms of friction and erosion as well as being slippery.

We have some adhesive teflon tape at work for some aluminum slide. Didn't think to try it on wood. Not sure how it would hold up to rough cut lumber though.

Probably purchased through MSC.

Dave

UHMW is what I use as well. It is great stuff and machines easily. It is slick and awesome for sliding things on or having things slide on it.

Back