What's new
What's new

Lubricating A Bridgeport Mill

L Machine

Plastic
Hello all. I have a 1966 vintage Bridgeport milling machine. It was previously owned by the Technicolor Corporation. All of the chips that I cleaned out of the machine were aluminum. The mill is not equipped with a "one shot" lube system. It has what looks like grease fittings. I know these are for way oil and not grease. Is there a special oil gun similar to a grease gun that I can use to lubricate the ways of the mill? Where might I obtain an oil gun for this application? Thanks....

I have a Bijur (spell ?) system and like how much easier it makes life. If the budget allows I would consider one, I like to make chips not crawl around with oil dispenser.

A plain vanilla grese gun will work with oil. Get one of the old type designed for bulk grease. and load it with oil. Make sure the plunger seals tight in the bore and you have it locked back when you scrw on the pump end. Also make sure the oil doesn't flow free through the pump. Maybe try it with a half cup of oil before you charge it full.

There are oil guns designed for zerk fittings but the last time I looked they were expensive. They had a quart reservoir and a hand pump that worked pistol grip fashion. Alemite I think. Moot: I can't find it.

One shots oilers are handy... However... if a metering jet gets clogged, NO OIL.

If a line gets kinked, NO OIL.

If a tube gets worn through, NO OIL.

If tubing slips in a fitting, NO OIL.

If gunk builds up in a tube or manifold, NO OIL.

Many of these tubes are plastic...

If you depend on a one shot oiler system (or even zerk fittings).. You need to get on hands and knees periodically, and check that oil is actually making it where it's needed...

That is a funny thing, Abarnsley! I am somewhat paranoid about lube getting where it needs to be on machines. I would kind of prefer that I had a system of points in which to manually put the oil to it!

Jeff

Over the years...

...I've gotten in the habit of reaching under the table, saddle, and columm with my hand to check for oil output from the oilers. It's a good habit.

Steve:codger:

Oil Gun

I purchased mine from McMaster-Carr Supply.
A push style grease gun..Just use way lube instead of grease.

McMaster-Car part #10225K95 Robbie

Last edited:

Back