darxtar is offline Cast Iron

Default Lufkin #58 Level question

Hi
    I bought a really nice Lufkin #58 level from one of the members, back in November I guess. I cant for the life of me remember his handle, otherwise I would PM him and ask him. Anyway does anybody know the specs on this level. Like what the graduations mean? Or the accuracy? I checked on the 'net and this level is almost nonexistent. Thanks

Mike

ADrummond is offline Hot Rolled

You can figure out the graduations with a level surface and feeler gauges. I''m not sure about the accuracy, but you could probably use the same setup, reversing the level end for end with feeler gauges under one end, to see if the reading repeats. Someone out there has a better idea than that, though!

Andrew

It looks very much like the Starrett #98 and is probably a competitive product.

The Starrett level is spec'd at .005"/foot (about 90 arc seconds) per division.

- Leigh

PeteM is offline Diamond

The Lufkin catalog lists this as a 60 second vial and .0035" per foot sensitivity. Slightly more sensitive than the similar-appearing #98 Starretts which are around .005" per foot.

darxtar is offline Cast Iron

Thank you for your input gentlemen, much appreciated

Mike