What's new
What's new

anodizing power source

madmachinst

Stainless
OK, I am not looking to do more than 1/2 a surface foot at a time. Is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/230685651460?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

a reasonable power source? Anyone have any luck with one of these? Any insight? Am I being Penny wise dollar stupid? I been to caswell forum and it won't let me post the question. maybe the don't want folks asking about conflicting products ( I planned on buying the chems and dyes from them ).

That is just about enough supply for your use, not excessive. If there are any electronic junk stores in your area, you should be able to get a regulated supply with more output or cheaper. 30 volts should be plenty, 5 amps is minimum for 1/2 sq ft. I'm using a supply I built almost 40 years ago that just has a Variac feeding a 24 volt transformer, a bridge rectifier and a bunch of capacitors. I have to manually keep it adjusted to 15 VDC until things stabilize. Note that this is for type 2 anodizing. YMMV

Bill

Power supply...

Do you have a battery charger? As long as its not a "smart charger" type it will work perfect. Most chargers have hi-med-low amp settings, Put a volt meter on and pick the setting thats thats between 12 and 14 volts. On my chargers High is about 13 volts. Your part will draw about 15 amps per square foot when your acid is about 70 degrees, as the acid heats up, the more amps it will draw. The more amps it draws and the higher the acid temp, the more chance you will get a burnt finish. Now you have to worry about cooling the acid. Send me a PM and i will give you a sorce that sells small qts of all the dyes, sealers, cleaners etc etc as well as a very good instruction book to do anodizing on a small scale. I had great results with it.:cheers:

Jamie,
Is it the guy that makes the telescope attachments? I just bought a starter kit and book from him. Glad to here my battery charger will work, might save me a couple hundred bucks.
have fun
i_r_

Send me a PM and i will give you a sorce that sells small qts of all the dyes, sealers, cleaners etc etc as well as a very good instruction book to do anodizing on a small scale.

Anodizing Aluminum

was that too hard to do? not like it's some top secret site....type in "anodize" on any search engine and it's the first link. forums are for the public sharing of knowledge...:cheers:

I personally don't rate a unregulated battery charger. Far easier to get consistent results with a regulated current supply. Then simply watch for the peak in the voltage. Makes it a darn near fool proof thing. Timing it and temperature variations gave me fits trying to hold colour on died stuff till i went that way. Just need to get a bigger regulated supply.

Yup ....

The telescope guy. I got the chance to stop by his shop on my way home from the Grizzly tool store hear him. I bought his book, supplies and he ran a batch of parts through the whole anodizing deal while i was there. VERY nice guy and you will be happy with his book. As far as power supplies go, the power supply is the LEAST of your worries. Tanks, heating, regulating temps etc etc are by far your biggest challenges. If you want to do more than one run, cooling the acid is your biggest problem. I came up with several McGyver solutions when i was running 5-6 batches back to back. email me jamie@keystone target... I can steer you in the right direction if you need it.

Do you have a battery charger? As long as its not a "smart charger" type it will work perfect. Most chargers have hi-med-low amp settings, Put a volt meter on and pick the setting thats thats between 12 and 14 volts. On my chargers High is about 13 volts. Your part will draw about 15 amps per square foot when your acid is about 70 degrees, as the acid heats up, the more amps it will draw. The more amps it draws and the higher the acid temp, the more chance you will get a burnt finish. Now you have to worry about cooling the acid. Send me a PM and i will give you a sorce that sells small qts of all the dyes, sealers, cleaners etc etc as well as a very good instruction book to do anodizing on a small scale. I had great results with it.:cheers:

I have a battery charger, its one of those smart ones that shuts off, so no problemo? Just add a battery. That adds more cost and not to forget current regulation so buy some batteries and bases. when I add all that together and the hassle of checking ampergae and voltage and not having a closed loop system. I'm not intersted in using a battery charger if something efficient can be had for $80. That my question for now. Temp control of anodizing bath, I was thinking freezer packs a glass thermometer, and an agitation pump. I wanna work under low current density. My other question would be if I can use revrse osmosed water instead of distilled ( I already have an RO system).

ok...

By smart charger i mean one of those computerized ones that analyzes the battery. I have a nice snap on charger, and a cheap one, they both work great. If you want to buy a power supply then do it, but chances are what you have will work perfect. Now water, I started with distilled then tried well water. The minerals in that wells water worked, but did not give me as shiny of surface. Then i used water that came out of a water softener system. worked fine. I reccomend using distilled in the anodize tank, then any drinkable water in the cleaners, dyes and sealer. sounds like your only doing a small tank ...i would just get distilled and eliminate any water doubts. Once you get rolling you are always adding water due to evaporation.

AND .... I just looked at the Egay link you posted, that thing will not work. 5 amps is only enough for roughly A 1/3 Of sq foot of surface area, and it will be struggling at the top of its output. You only need 13 volts and the battery charger will do it at at like 40 amps without struggling. a good power supply will run you atleast $275 or more. Is your charger a roll around one or a small box? Keep in mind, that the part will only draw like 15 amps per surface foot, so if the charger is capable of 40 amps its going to be stressed with 1-2 surface feet.

Back