What's new
What's new

Cheap source of aluminum flat stock

Rich V

Plastic
Over the thanksgiving holiday I was cleaning up my shop area and noticed I was low on aluminum flat stock. I’m just a hobby machinist and like to keep a small assortment of sizes around and prefer the stronger alloys like 7075.

I usually buy from Speedy Metals or OnlineMetals but the price of 7075 is getting more expensive every time I look. After a Google search I found a company that sells plate aluminum that will cut to size. After pricing a few pieces of 7075 using the on line tool and comparing prices I ordered up an assortment to give them a try.

FedEx dropped off the package today (5 days coast to coast) and was pleased with what I received.

All pieces were cut too slightly over size and the cuts are very straight and smooth for a saw cut. These will all true up easily with a little face milling.
Best of all the price is very good, 25-50% cheaper than my usual sources for 7075.

These are not as “clean” in dimension or finish as buying extruded flat stock but since I true up my stock on a mill before use this was a bargain.
If you are looking for aluminum flat stock check them out, they sell in a huge range of sizes.

Network Metals Buy Aluminum Plate Online at Network Metals

I posted this on Home Shop Machinist but since this vendor sells in industrial quantities it may be of interest to our commercial minded members.

001-1.jpg

I checked the price for 1 inch thick 1 sq Ft
Network Metals
$89

Speedy metals
12"x12" Plate Plus or Minus 1/4" 14.5296 lbs Price: $191.79

For 1 x2 x12
Network Metals
$22

Speedy metals
12" Plus or Minus 1/4" 2.4240 lbs Price: $26.85

OnlineMetals
One Ft. (12") Length - $31.95

The price difference varies by size/shape but for 7075 it is better than what I was paying at Speedy or Onlinemetals

For 1 x2 x12
Network Metals
$22

Speedy metals
12" Plus or Minus 1/4" 2.4240 lbs Price: $26.85

Speedy Metals, like Online Metals, has a persistent 10 - 15% Off coupon. Check the home page.

The price difference varies by size/shape but for 7075 it is better than what I was paying at Speedy or Onlinemetals

Check your math. ;) 7075 is more than twice the cost per pound of 6061. You can buy that that 1" x 2" x 12" stick of 6061 at Speedy for $10 before the 10 - 15% off:

12" Plus or Minus 1/4" 2.3496 lbs Price: $10.89

By the way, OnlineMetals has always been expensive compared to the other online metal retailers.

Did I hear hobby? If you don't need certs, take a look at this guy's list of Fortal aluminum mold plate:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-603-x-2-7...150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e9fe277e

They don't claim it's 7075, but it's similar, and really nice stuff to machine. Make contact with Scott through his e-bay store and ask for his list... he'll attach an Excel file to an e-mail. He has hundreds of drops and pocket cut-outs. Nice guy to deal with, too.

Dennis

Did I hear hobby? If you don't need certs, take a look at this guy's list of Fortal aluminum mold plate:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-603-x-2-7...150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e9fe277e

They don't claim it's 7075, but it's similar, and really nice stuff to machine.

I was going to mention Fortal, but I didn't know if D. would approve of the surplus aspect. I've bought a lot of Fortal from the Mouser guy (now Scott). If you look at the certs, it really is 7075 -- it's just a French trademark for 7075 for dies.

Speedy Metals, like Online Metals, has a persistent 10 - 15% Off coupon. Check the home page.

Check your math. ;) 7075 is more than twice the cost per pound of 6061. You can buy that that 1" x 2" x 12" stick of 6061 at Speedy for $10 before the 10 - 15% off:

12" Plus or Minus 1/4" 2.3496 lbs Price: $10.89

By the way, OnlineMetals has always been expensive compared to the other online metal retailers.

Yes 6061 is cheaper than 7075 but that is not what I was buying or comparing to my usual vendors.

If you know of a cheaper metal dealer (not e-bay) for 7075 please let me know.

-----------------------------------------------------
JP Machining-

Shipping is free for >$250, I did not buy that much, paid $12 for about 11 lbs shipping CA to NJ

You need higher strength 7075 for general use? Plate, round bar and misc. shapes at the local non-ferrous scrap dealer run less than $1.00 per pound. Lots of 1/2" and thicker plate can be bought for a song if you can tollerate or work around the odd hole, slot, etc. Much of the bar stock is new, marked and just being scrapped as un-needed/surplus material.

Back