What's new
What's new

FWIW Acetone does NOT affect JB Weld

winchman

Stainless
I soaked a bit of cured JBW for about six hours in acetone. It was in a tuna can with another can stacked on top to slow down evaporation. I put it out in direct sunlight with temperature at 85-95 degrees in the shade.

As far as I could tell, it had no affect at all on the as hardness of the JBW and bond strength to the aluminum it was on.

Roger

Oh, The fellow changed his mind about the modification to the assembled parts, and I sold it like I built it.

You could try Methylene Chloride. Nasty stuff. Some epoxy paint strippers such as Rock Miracle contain Methylene Chloride. So does Jasco Epoxy and Paint Remover, which you might find at:

# Ace Hardware (SKU # 12209, 12210, 12211 )
# The Home Depot * (SKU # 553205, 589973, 589987 )
# Lowe's Home Improvements * (SKU # 5999, 6000, 6058 )

From JB Weld site: Q: How can I remove J-B Weld after it is fully cured?

A: When fully cured, J-B Weld can only be removed by grinding or filing it off, or by directly heating the product above the 600 degree maximum temperature threshold.

There are commercially available solvents for removing epoxy based glues.Acetone will eventually do super glue,but,of course,not epoxy.

Concentrated sulfuric acid will dissolve epoxy. Plating tape can be used to mask off the metal areas as they may be etched by the acid.

Roger, My wife works in a bakery. She uses a little cart to roll 5 gallon buckets of icing around. One of the wheels on the cart broke off, and we repaired it with J B Weld. Worked fine until the wheel got sticky one day and wouldn't roll. My wife sprayed it with "White Cap All Purpose Baking Release", a food grade product similar to PAM, hoping it would provide some lubrication. She watched in amazment as this food grade product dissolved the J B Weld back to a liquid state and obviously the wheel fell off. You might see if you can locate some, again it's WHITE CAP ALL PURPOSE BAKING RELEASE...made by VENTURA FOODS LLC. Main ingredients are Soy Bean Oil, and Canola oil. The store she works at is an affiliate of KROGER. I'm not sure if you have KROGER stores or any of their many affiliates down there in Georgia. Good Luck.

A machinery co here uses Formic Acid to dissolve epoxy on the ends of screen print rolls. Nasty stuff, a chemist friend showed me the MSDS on Formic acid... No way I would work with it..

I think MEK desolves epoxy, IIRC
I don't think so.

You could try Methylene Chloride
My experience shows that Methylene Chloride is most effective on thin layers of epoxy.
It seems to swell it and cause it to shrivel up.(OK,insert joke here)

Concentrated sulfuric acid will dissolve epoxy
Epoxy is pretty resistant to sulfuric acid.
I have not found anything that "dissolves" epoxy.
Heat applied correctly to epoxy or part is often more effective than any chemical mentioned here.
SM

"I soaked a bit of cured JBW for about six hours in acetone. It was in a tuna can with another can stacked on top to slow down evaporation. "

Acetone? heavens...

I recommend:

I can chunk light tuna in water, drained
2 tsp Hellmans mayo
2 tsp crushed red sandwich peppers
1 tsp relish
1 tsp finely chopped red onion

Mix thoroughly and serve on lightly toasted sourdough bread.

No JB weld, no acetone.

I recommend:

I can chunk light tuna in water, drained
2 tsp Hellmans mayo
2 tsp crushed red sandwich peppers
1 tsp relish
1 tsp finely chopped red onion
Hmmm,

1 can, the fish
2 Tbs "Real Mayo"
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 hard boiled egg, chopped
1 Tbs chopped onion
salt-N-pepper
Garlic powder (Not garlic salt)
Bread, sour dough sounds good

1 can, the fish
2 Tbs "Real Mayo"
Chopped green olives with pimentos
Chopped dill pickle
Salt to taste

I have friend with adds Tabasco – claims mayonnaise cuts the heat and leaves a great taste

OH, Yeah – have to include a machine - Open with Swing away manual opener

The PAM had no effect at all on the cured JB Weld.

We don't have a Kroger here, but I'll have a look for the WHITE CAP ALL PURPOSE BAKING RELEASE...made by VENTURA FOODS LLC.

Roger

Back