What's new
What's new

Hand Hacksaw Blades Longer than 12"

rudolf

Cast Iron
i have seen old hand hacksaws with blades longer than 12" but i've been looking around and have not been able to find anyone that supplies hand hacksaw blades in lengths greater than 12". does anyone have an idea on whether they are still available? i've looked at lenox, starrett, and nicholsons sites with no luck.

Don't know what quantity you need, But you can make your own from band saw blades, any pitch lenth ,width or hardness. Cut to required lenth, grind ends for radius ,and punch holes.
I used to make lots of them for a small power hack-saw. Also I make my own for a 30"
hand meat saw.
Usually a lot of scrap blade material around for the picking, new stuff to short to weld into bandsaw blade

Don't know what quantity you need, But you can make your own from band saw blades, any pitch lenth ,width or hardness. Cut to required lenth, grind ends for radius ,and punch holes.
I used to make lots of them for a small power hack-saw. Also I make my own for a 30"
hand meat saw.
Usually a lot of scrap blade material around for the picking, new stuff to short to weld into bandsaw blade

i was thinking that was one way to go and its good to hear it from someone that has done it. however i was also wondering how well the bandsaw blade worked in tension in a hack saw. maybe it is just that i am used to seeing short lengths of hand hacksaw blades but they seem less flexible than most of the bandsaw blades i have run across. that said the lenox adds show their blades tied in knots :).

Before punching a hole in the end of the cut section, it may be helpful to anneal the blade material near where you will make the hole. (You can do this over a propane flame.)

Otherwise, it is in a hard and brittle state that breaks rather than bends.

I've put enough tension on my 18"Grob band saw that the weld broke, Don't think you could put that much tension on a hand hack saw,without turning the frame into a bananna. Tyeing the blade in knots is not conducive to getting the blade to track right in the kerf. You can make a blade as such in ten minutes,What do you have to lose.

Back