What's new
What's new

machining nitronic 60

RJT

Titanium
The little bit of information I can find suggest using speeds and feeds like 316 stainless. Anyone with experience, your advice would be welcome. I will be turning and internal grooving 2 inch bar stock in a Daewoo with plenty of hoursepower, rigidity, and synthetic coolant. What grade and coating of carbide insert ? RJT

Nitronic 50 & 60 is pretty nasty stuff to machine. We use a ton of it literally. 316 machines like butter compared to this stuff. I'm not at work, so I don't have the numbers (home with a broken ankle). I'm guessing 80-120 SFM with carbide with a fast feed. This stuff will work harden if you look at it wrong. We have never been able to get real good finishes, so we grind anything that requires 32 or better.

If you have a short work piece, you don't have to worry about wharpage. Nitronic is strain hardened and will wharp all over the place if you take heavy cuts.

Good Luck!
JR

Wow, I'm getting different information from Kennametal. Just got off the phone with applications and they suggested 550 SFM .016 - .018 IPR for rought turning and KC9925 for grade. What equipment are you turning with? What size workpiece? RJT

Geez, I don't remember Nitronic 60 being so difficult to machine when I turned it about 9 months ago. In fact I remember telling my customer to bring more because it was "pretty nice to machine".

A quick look at the program I ran shows that I roughed at 200 SFM @ .009" IPR, and finished at 300 SFM @ .002" IPR.

I turned a couple of shafts out of it on an old Monarch and it cut like butter....It's tough to drill, but with carbide tooling, it's not bad. The HSS grooving tool worked fine, too. Took a nice finish, too.

Andy Pullen

my experience

I mistakenly accepted a Nitronic 60 gear job, cutting teeth only. Was unable to cut with TiN coated M4. Used advised surface footage and ruined a cutter in less than a minute.

Back