What's new
What's new

200,000 Jobs buy made in USA

Marcibb

Hot Rolled
I usually do not catch the evening news but today I did and on ABC Nightly News thy had a bit titled the Great Made in America Christmas.

It would seam that if everyone that buys Christmas gifts would spend around $65 more of there average $700 gift budget on US made stuff it would create close to 1/4 million jobs.

I know this sounds corny but I plan to look extra hard and let the stores where I shop know what I am looking for, who know if enough of us start buying US made stuff, things may just get a bit better.

Marci

$700 budget? Wow who are these people? We spend no where near that.
I try to buy USA when possible and go to lots of effort, and expense, to do so.
I just got 2 new belts(lost 40 lbs) and got 2 from Filson, that were nearly 90 shipped! But made in USA and quality is very nice. Watch out not all of their belts are made in USA.

my 2 cents...

Paul

I couldn't agree more! I/we go far out of our way and sometimes spend more money to buy made in USA products all the time. It is very heartening to at least hear someone on the national level encouraging Americans to do this also.

Why is it that our government and president, who always talk about jobs, don't sing the praises of USA made products every time they speak? This is where all of our jobs have gone and this is the only way that we will get them back.

Pretty sad state of affairs that we live in now a days. Greed is killing or has already killed the American dream.

Please try a little harder when you spend your hard earned money and buy made in the USA products!! They are out there, sometimes you just have to look really hard. Here is a hint, don't expect to find much made in the USA stuff at wal-mart.

Proud American,
Chuck

It seems to me that most of the big box stores sell imported items. They are so price driven. The items they sell keep getting cheaper and cheaper (junk). I wish they would offer two of the same item one cheap and one USA.
When I see something I like and its made in USA and I can afford it, in the cart it goes. If its junk I don't need it!
I sit here typing this in my camo coat with a broken zipper. I can't bear to part with, because its made in USA. Try finding a new camo coat made here.

100% in agreement with this thread and I try to buy American, but sometimes it is really hard, or not cost effective.

A case in point. Went to Home D to get some 1 1/2" PVC unions for some outdoor piping. Looked at what they had and all made in China. Just then an employee walked by and asked if I found what I needed. Responded by showing her the union and saying I would pay more for one made in US. Her response was that they look for the least expensive source of quality products to keep prices down for the customer. :skep:

Now, I could have driven all over town to try and find some made in the US, probably wouldn't, price of gas to consider, my time to consider, project still waiting the unions. Decision was to grumble and buy them.

From what I hear, about 30% of Walmart stuff is made in US, maybe more, maybe a bit less.

If you have ever looked at a package and could not find where something was made, look at the barcode and the numbers just below it.

If the first three digits of the number are 690, 691, or 692 it was made in China. 00-09 USA or Canada, 30-37 France, 40-44 Germany, 471 Taiwan, 49 Japan, 50 the UK.

All of this from an email from a Cousin, is it true, haven't checked it out. :D

Added - I just checked the numbers below the barcode on an Olympus pocket digital recorder (made in China). The numbers started with 503. So much for what I posted.

Last edited:
While not Christmas shopping related, this recent finding was very disturbing.

I needed some socket head cap screws for a project I was building. I contacted three fastener houses with my request for American-made screws. I could get them, but had to buy a whole box in order to get USA made screws. How is the US manufacturing sector going to rise from the ashes with these asinine minimums in place?

Fastenal now owns Holokrome's screw division:

Fastenal Company - Fastenal Company to Acquire Holo-Krome Company

You still have to buy box quantities to get HK screws! :nutter:

$700 budget? Wow who are these people? We spend no where near that.
I try to buy USA when possible and go to lots of effort, and expense, to do so.
I just got 2 new belts(lost 40 lbs) and got 2 from Filson, that were nearly 90 shipped! But made in USA and quality is very nice. Watch out not all of their belts are made in USA.

my 2 cents...

Paul
WOW congratulation on the weight loss.

Marci

made in USA...for an Aussie

You guys think you are in a bad way...think about us Aussies...most of what is sold in Australia is "Made in China"

WE (in our industry) have to buy in the US, because all our manufacturing has gone "off shore".or just "gone"..I get Tools, cartridge cases, accessories, etc, direct from US Makers (NOT "dealers"), because (a) we have a strong local Dollar (today US$1,03) (b) we know it is the correct tool/part etc for the job (c) we know the quality.

Whilst some equipment for us does come from China ( Lathes, Mills etc) the day to day (gun) stuff comes in by Internet ordering and Payment, 10 to 20 day turnaround, No problems. (From the US)
Occasionally I find a local manufacturer/toolmaker that suits my needs, and produces good stuff...but a lot has to come from the local Bunnings ( equiv. to Wallyworld or Home Depot) and it is almost All from China ( some from India as well)...only the live gardening section is basically Australian (Plants, fertilisers) but the tools are all Chinese.

IN Aussie we still make Plastic Pipe unions and Pipes, but malleable iron water fittings come from India or China; All your normal bric-a-brac of a hardware store is made in Asia (Screws etc,) as are the majority of normal hand tools and all electric workshop tools...even a lot of Euro brands are "Made in China".

Example, if you want a cheap, bright, sassily packed screw or bolt for general use (where it will shear off if you overtighten it)...Buy Chinese
If , on the other hand, you want someting that will meet strong forces, etc, then Buy Local made...if you can find it.

Being a smaller country (== Smaller Market) our manufacturing Industry just can't hack it for a passle of reasons (High labour costs, High Gov't Costs, High distribution costs) so we are even worse off than the USA....

End of Rant

Regards,
Doc AV
sometime Gunmaker for the Movies and other related enterprises
Brisbane Australia

It would seam that if everyone that buys Christmas gifts would spend around $65 more of there average $700 gift budget on US made stuff it would create close to 1/4 million jobs.

That makes one wonder how many jobs would be created if everyone just saved the whole $700 instead of spending it on frivolous gifts? The "christmas" economy is truely odd!

easterisle01.jpg

It seems to me that most of the big box stores sell imported items. They are so price driven. .............

I am a long time made in the U.S.A buyer whenever possible. If I can't find made in the U.S stuff, I will seek quality products from a country that is at least friendly to us. It is hard, but most things other than electronics I can usually find a U.S. made one if I shop around and am will to order it in. It is a pain sometimes for sure, and sometimes when you need something right now, you get stuck with what is on the shelf.

I quoted the above just to make a subtle point. It is not really the retailer that is price driven. The ultimate end state is that the majority of the customers are price driven, and that is why the retailers carry these products, and why the manufactures produce them as cheap as they can.

Manufacturers will produce, and retailers will sell, whatever they can make the best profit on. In the end, if foreign made junk sits on the shelf and doesn't sell, they will stop carrying it. Sadly, the vast majority of people in the U.S. will buy the cheapest piece of crap they can get their hands on with price being the overriding factor in the decision to buy, with quality being a distant second place consideration, if at all.

If retailers and suppliers start seeing that made in U.S.A. and quality sells and is what people are asking for, they will start having it on the shelves. Unfortunately, it will take a whole hell of a lot more people asking for U.S.A. made goods and rejecting the junk to make any difference.

If retailers and suppliers start seeing that made in U.S.A. and quality sells and is what people are asking for, they will start having it on the shelves. Unfortunately, it will take a whole hell of a lot more people asking for U.S.A. made goods and rejecting the junk to make any difference.

Sadly I agree but it will take a lot of people but let's keep on keeping on and maybe one day.

Marci

I sit here typing this in my camo coat with a broken zipper. I can't bear to part with, because its made in USA. Try finding a new camo coat made here.

Serious Q - Is there nowhere you can get a new zipper put in (assuming the coats worth it) over here I find the best thing too do is ask in the stores that sell such things, they often know people.

OK I know it won't be cheap, but like you I've a couple of coats I willl not let die;)

Serious Q - Is there nowhere you can get a new zipper put in (assuming the coats worth it) over here I find the best thing too do is ask in the stores that sell such things, they often know people.

OK I know it won't be cheap, but like you I've a couple of coats I willl not let die;)
Start by asking at any dry cleaner. You'd be surprised how cheap it is to have a zipper replaced.

We all know about the recent deadlock in Washington about taxes. There was one statement that taxing the highest paid people would impair job development because they are the ones who create them. No one ever points out that many of those people are making such high incomes by paying some poor peasant a couple of pennies on the retail dollar to work in appalling conditions. Peasants here and peasants there are all people.

I may be the wrong person to ask for economic advice, but that has never stopped me from having opinions. One of mine is that we need to think more about the value of things, whether they are really useful or just a frivolous bit of junk. It may help the job market today, but I can't believe that turning out more and more toys that will be in a landfill 6 months from now is going to help the standard of living in the long term, either here or elsewhere. As Adbusters Magazine pointed out, how can getting oil up out of the ground, transporting it across the country converting it into plastic, packaging it and shipping across the country again, using the plastic spoon you have made once then throwing it away be more cost effective than washing a metal one and putting it back in the drawer? This argument gets even stronger when you consider how much bunker C gets burned, dumping more CO2 into the atmosphere, just to get some silly gadget across the Pacific.

I don't begrudge some poor guy plowing with a bullock the same way his ancestors did it in 2000 BC wanting to improve his life, but we need to put a lot more thought into how we do it.

I have a definite suggestion about how to reduce the waste on Wall Street, constant trading back and forth that produces no product and only is a big poker game. Make a taxing structure where stocks or commodities owned for less than 1/2 hour are taxed 95% of the profit, those held a month are taxed 75%, and so on until those held for 10 years or more get a very low rate. Then investing would be back to the original purpose, to make capital available to start up or expansion of useful businesses.

This nonsense about not needing manufacturing because we are a service economy is just as stupid as saying that a building doesn't need a foundation because most of it is above ground.

Bill

"makes one wonder how many jobs would be created if everyone just saved the whole $700 instead of spending it on frivolous gifts?"

Answer: None. Money saved is stagnant wealth, not economic activity. One of the issues with the current American economy is the approximately $3 trillion held in 'savings' by the largest American businesses...primarily due to their uncertainty as to how to spend it. No argument here as to the value of the jobs or goods created created by 'frivolous' spending...just that not spending results in no economic activity.

If you have ever looked at a package and could not find where something was made, look at the barcode and the numbers just below it.

If the first three digits of the number are 690, 691, or 692 it was made in China. 00-09 USA or Canada, 30-37 France, 40-44 Germany, 471 Taiwan, 49 Japan, 50 the UK.

All of this from an email from a Cousin, is it true, haven't checked it out. :D

Added - I just checked the numbers below the barcode on an Olympus pocket digital recorder (made in China). The numbers started with 503. So much for what I posted.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

Steve

Even when you go to the extra trouble to buy American,it can backfire,I bought Lyndex collets thinking I was doing the right thing,only to find (made in japan) proudly lazer etched on the shank of them. I have in the last year,made more of an effort in buying US made products, I buy all my jeans and t shirts online from a company that sells only US made clothing, And by the way the quality is excellent. When I buy Redwings off the shelf I make sure they are the ones with the made in USA tag in them,and when I wanted some wellington boots for everyday wear I googled usa made to find them. The company I buy clothing from always sends a card with the order stating that,if everyone bought just one article of US made clothing it would put something like 9 billion dollars into the economy,or something unbelievable like that,anyway it can't hurt.

I buy a good bit of supplies from Enco. I like the way their catalog is set up so that you have the US brand right next to the import brand. At least you can make a decision right then as to if you want to buy the imported or US made product.

E m m a M a e r s k

ship1.jpg

ship2.jpg

ship3.jpg

What a ship....no wonder 'Made in China ' is displacing
North American made goods big time.
This monster transports goods across the Pacific in just 5
Days!! This is one of three ships presently in service, with another two
Ships commissioned to be completed in 2012.

These ships were commissioned by Wal-Mart to get all their
Goods and stuff from China .. They hold an incredible 15,000
Containers and have a 207 foot deck beam!! The full crew is just
13 people on a ship
Longer than a US Aircraft Carrier (which has a
Crew of 5,000. With its 207' beam it is too big to fit through the
Panama or Suez Canals ...

It is strictly Transpacific. Cruise speed: 31 knots.

The goods arrive 4 days before the typical container ship (18-20
Knots) on a China-to-California run. 91% of Wal-Mart products are
Made in China .So this behemoth is hugely competitive even
When carrying perishable goods.

The ship was built in five sections. The sections floated

Together and then welded.

The command bridge is higher than a 10-story building and has
11 cargo crane rigs that can operate simultaneously unloading
The entire ship in less than two hours.

Additional info:

Country of origin - Denmark
Length - 1,302 ft
Width - 207 ft
Net cargo - 123,200 tons
Engine - 14 cylinders in-line diesel engine (110,000 BHP)
Cruise Speed - 31 knots

Cargo capacity - 15,000 TEU (1 TEU = 20 cubic feet)
Crew - 13 people !
First Trip - Sept. 08, 2006
Construction cost - US $145,000,000+

Silicone painting applied to the ship bottom reduces water
Resistance and saves 317,000 gallons of diesel per year.

Editorial Comment!

A recent documentary in late March, 2010 on the History
Channel noted that all of these containers are shipped back to
China , EMPTY. Yep, that's right.
We send nothing back on these ships.
What does that tell you
About the current financial state of this country?
So folks, just keep on buying those imported goods (mostly gadgets) until you run out
Of money. Then you may wonder what the cause of unemployment
(maybe even your job) in the U.S. And Canada and even in Australia might be????

Back