What's new
What's new

Machining school

Slk247

Plastic
Im recently unemployed and was operating cnc with no experience when i started my last job and i enjoyed it. I now have an opportunity to go to school for machining and have narrowed it down to 2 schools one of them offers an associates degree the other offers a diploma. My question here is in this field is there a big difference between the 2?

Neither one will matter much, aside from a note on your resume, and will matter even less after your first job (just like a lot of diplomas). If I could choose, I'd probably take the associate's degree, just because it's real letters after your name, but only if it wasn't going to cost me much. I have a registered apprenticeship, through the department of education, but the certificate is just something pretty that sits on my desk. Either one of those pieces of paper shows a potential employer that you have some drive, and just enough skill to be taught how to do the really cool stuff, eventually.

It doesn't matter between the two. What matters is the coursework. Places will want to see machining classes, blue print reading, cad/cam classes. Usually the two year is more preferred vs a one year. This is because you will have more time to touch base on different things. Any shop should be somewhat familiar with what their local tech school offers.

First off, post the names of the schools here.

Secondly, what is the schools placement rate, with what companies, and
what positions ? (entry level, trainee, journeyman, etc.)

There is no difference between a diploma and a "degree".

Nearly all machinist programs in the United States are two-year associates degrees. Typically they are called "Associate Degrees in Applied Science".

There are also some schools that offer a four-year bachelors degree usually in "manufacturing technology". There are a few that offer a bachelor's degree in applied science, but most bachelor's degrees call it manufacturing technology, because at least some of the work is theoretical, not applied.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find high-quality 4 or 6 year programs in machining in the US or UK due to the contempt for craftsmen in the English-speaking countries. There are high-quality degree programs for machinists in Germany and Switzerland, but you would have to learn to speak German to attend those programs.

Im recently unemployed and was operating cnc with no experience when i started my last job and i enjoyed it. I now have an opportunity to go to school for machining and have narrowed it down to 2 schools one of them offers an associates degree the other offers a diploma. My question here is in this field is there a big difference between the 2?
different employers may have a different preference. some places will hold back pay raises or discriminate if you do not have what they prefer. other places after a few years (especially after 5 years) pay raises are based on what you can do not on a piece of paper.
night school and possibly school during the day some have a job posting bulletin board or web site so students can find usually basic entry level jobs and gain experience. i would avoid signing up and prepaying for too much school. that is often you cannot get a refund after classes start. just saying i signed up for classes but found a job so i could not attend the classes and i was told no refunds only credit for classes i might want to take later. almost 5 years later still working and still cannot attend classes.

Some schools host a job fair and employers come to find new hires.

Big best shops want the perfect guy.. so learn to be that guy.
Couple years in school and likely will know less than couple years on a job..But the paper may get you in a top shop.

QT: [recently unemployed] because the shop's work slacked..or you did?
If you-did then change that..

Best rule pay attention to the job, work 90% or better and never look at Cell phone except perhaps once a week emergency... and when that happens apologize to the boss, Even if you have to wait for him to come around.

often if many people apply for a job the ones with a degree or diploma are picked first. if 10 or more people apply often they only interview 3 people and pick from those.
you can say it aint fair but life is full of times where you are not even given the opportunity to prove your self. you can be rejected based on your resume and lack of a diploma.
the sad thing is often resumes are scanned by computer for keywords. a computer and not even a person can put you at the bottom of the list. i once applied for one job that 56 other people applied for the same job. sure out of 56 maybe only 10 were qualified but how do you think they pick from those 10 ?? somebody or something has to decide who is worth interviewing. you can actually be label over qualified and be rejected for a job as they might not want to pay much and figure you would quit the job in a few months.
you could be rejected for a helper job if you have a diploma. just saying hard to say often what will help or hurt your chance of getting a job

My brother a seasoned pattern maker and tool maker went to a job interview..
Passed everything with flying colors..Then on the shop walk through the company person (boss)asked if he had experience repairing welders..
Welding was a very small portion of the shop's work.
Likely that boss had a friend picked for the job..

QT Tom: [you can say it aint fair but life is full of times....}

Hello Slk247,
If you are interested in this field call; NATIONAL TOOLING AND
MACHINING ASSOCIATION
800-248-6862

They are nationwide but their HQ is in your state. Try to get the list of employers in your area who are members. These shops are serious about educating their apprentices.
otrlt

What you do on your own time is really important. Quite a few companies allow students to use their CAD and CAM for free. Solidworks, Hsmworks and Fusion have a ton of youtube videos and you can learn the software if you are motivated enough. (there are many other cad/cam programs with a lot of youtube content too) Join CAD CAM forums and post your questions.

My brother a seasoned pattern maker and tool maker went to a job interview..
Passed everything with flying colors..Then on the shop walk through the company person (boss)asked if he had experience repairing welders..
Welding was a very small portion of the shop's work.
Likely that boss had a friend picked for the job..

QT Tom: [you can say it aint fair but life is full of times....}

many companies already have somebody picked for a job. but to avoid being accused of discrimination often at least 2 people (so the 2 can back each other up on what was said) do interviews and collect data to prove the person they already picked was the best person for the job.
a job i applied for that 56 others applied for boss said i was picked cause i was not a expert in only a few things but more a jack of all trades type and that was what they were looking for. i could have disputed the boss's opinion of me but since i got the job i kept my mouth shut. besides i am not sure being called a jack of all trades is a bad thing.
another job i applied for i did not hear anything for 2 months and assumed i did not get the job. i didnt get job or rather they picked another and he did not work out and i was 2nd choice. doesnt give a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing i was 2nd choice but i did get the job eventually so thats all that matters

Ask yourself what the differences are between the two programs.

In real life the A.S. degree might look better on a resume, especially to some bean counter in human resources. But what really matters is what you know. On the other hand, people lie on their resume to make themselves look better. It's better to work on improving yourself than improving your resume.

Ask yourself what the differences are between the two programs.

In real life the A.S. degree might look better on a resume, especially to some bean counter in human resources. But what really matters is what you know. On the other hand, people lie on their resume to make themselves look better. It's better to work on improving yourself than improving your resume.

i once applied for mastercam programming job as i went to night school 3 times for it. at interview they ask me to hand write a gcode program with pencil and paper with no reference material in front of 2 others and do it fast. i failed to do it fast enough and was walked out of the place.
of course less than a hour of studying i could do it but just saying you might be surprised at what is asked at a job interview. basically a instant test or pop quiz on what you know from in your head, no reference material. that place did not care much about diplomas

Back