What's new
What's new

Magnetized Roller

beaverracing

Cast Iron
A customer has asked if I can build them a magnetized conveyor roller to remove small pieces of metal from their product. The diameter will be aprox 6" and about 48" long. Not sure how thick the belt will be, but I can find out.
Anyone done this, or have some ideas? Building the roller is no problem, I've done many before, but have no idea how to magnetize it. Should be a permanent magnet.
Thanks,
Jim

Based upon past experience with trying to build or rebuild magnetic rollers, I've had better luck with Eriez. For a roller that big, you'd have to start with stainless tubing and then stack magnetic and filler material inside. You almost need 2 of them when you use rollers.

You'll see more applications where they hold magnets over the top of the conveyor or pass the material through a magnetic grate.
PROGRADE Magnetic Separators - en-us.Eriez.com - Manufacturer of Magnetic, Vibratory and Metal Detection Solutions for all industries
Look at the PDF downloads.
JR

Out here we see many "Tub Grinders" used for orchard removal and composting at landfills etc. They all seem to have the magnetic roller on the end of the conveyor belt for just that purpose. It might be easier (or cheaper) to just buy one of those ready made.
Zoom

Back