What's new
What's new

Machining waste terminology: hole making

wagsha48

Aluminum
I am familiar with chips, swarf, dross, and filings as well as some slang terms we tend to use like stringers, blue hornets, and even sticky wickies. What I am wondering currently though, is what is the technical term for the coin left over when a drill breaks thru? Feel free to post any other rarely spoken terms I may not be aware of.IMG_0807.jpg

When you weld a nipple to a pipe, and put a 100% diameter gate valve on the thing, and then put an air tight hole saw on top of that, and open the valve, and cut a hole into the original pipe, and you pull the saw out, the round piece you have on your hole saw is called a "coupon". I vote for "coupon". But an electrical box knockout piece is called a slug.

When I took welding class at the JC the rectangular pieces of 1/2 plate roughly 4x6 to practice on were also called coupons. I would say cut not sheared or punched.
Bil lD

I see where slug could be fitting in some circumstances but IMO coupon is more fitting for the thin pieces like the ones in my picture. From now on I guess my rule of thumb will be: over 1/8" thick= slug, under 1/8" = coupon. I appreciate the tip, Been in the field 11 years now and have not heard the term.

Slug or punching is the common term, over here suitably sized punchings are oftern sold for balast weight usage not scrap. They vibrate - compact down well and can be found in many a boat hull around these parts, yeah they tend to rust together as one mass, but still work just fine.

I see where slug could be fitting in some circumstances but IMO coupon is more fitting for the thin pieces like the ones in my picture. From now on I guess my rule of thumb will be: over 1/8" thick= slug, under 1/8" = coupon. I appreciate the tip, Been in the field 11 years now and have not heard the term.

offhand,I can think of no basis for "thin=coupon", what is your reference for that usage?

to my understanding, a "coupon" is a piece of specific dimension usually removed from a larger sample for the purpose of testing and/or archiving.

by definition a coupon is pay dirt, not tailings, workpiece, not byproduct.

slug it is.

offhand,I can think of no basis for "thin=coupon", what is your reference for that usage?

to my understanding, a "coupon" is a piece of specific dimension usually removed from a larger sample for the purpose of testing and/or archiving.

by definition a coupon is pay dirt, not tailings, workpiece, not byproduct.

slug it is.

Ayup.

Cupon is the generic term for a small sample used for testing. Small, of course, relative to the actual job being done.

One shop I worked in, had a vidmar bin full of cupons of various materials, and thicknesses ranging from .010" on up, for the welders to practice their TIG welds upon, for their Annual required recert, which was welded in the shop and sent to a central facility where it was sectioned and etched, then graded for pass or fail.

But I have also seen cupons of very thick Aluminum, Magnesium and Armor Steel, also reserved for testing and practicing.

Those look like the slugs from an annular cutter. Just another chunk of waste material.

Cheers
Trev

Back