What's new
What's new

Machinist Elbow (Tennis Elbow) What do you do?

Techguy

Hot Rolled
Once again my elbow is really starting to hurt from opening and closing vises. I call it Machinist Elbow. I have a Dr. appointment tomorrow to get it injected again.

My question is what have you guys found for ways to reduce the problem or treat the pain?

Dan

I guess I should have done a search before I posted this. I found a number of threads including one of my own from a couple years ago. My old thread was from the time period before I had a stroke and can't remember stuff I did. Any good suggestions for recovering old memories that were erased? Just kidding.

Moderators go ahead and delete this if you want. I was too lazy to search first. My Bad.

Dan

Start doing Yoga or Tai Chi etc if you want to stay awesome and keep making chips into your 80s.

I'd suggest using a vise handle that is long enough to give the needed leverage without so much straining to do it. Another way might be to use a T handle to balance the load across your shoulders and split the wear and tear on your wrists and elbows between both arms. I use power tools as often as is practical, particularly for running the vise way open or back again. Anything that requires a twisting effort is not good in the long run. Even running in a half a dozen wood screws with a screw driver will give me a sore reaction for a couple of days afterwards so I avoid that as much as possible.

I have a couple of Milwaukee 18v impact wrenches more or less permanently stationed at the mill, one with a 3/8 hex on a double flexible extension for undoing the jaw capscrews, and another one with a 3/4" flex socket to run the vise open to change jaws. These help limit the amount of times I have to apply twisting motions.

Find a medical practitioner (doctor, chiropractor, physical therapist) who is trained and certified is something called "Active Release".

Active Release is a patented soft-tissue therapy and you can't do it unless you are licensed by the company that invented it.

I had tennis elbow in one elbow and the guy I used here got rid of it in about a month. A few years later, got it in the other elbow, and again, gone in about a month. It has not returned to either elbow in the more than five years since.

Recently had plantar faciitis. Any of you that have had that knows how painful it can be, especially when you have to stand in front of a machine all day. GONE in three treatments. The podiatrist only gave me advice on how to minimize the symptoms (e.g don't wear flip-flops).

Anything else is just a band-aid.

Steve

Put down an anti-fatigue mat in front of your machine and get a longer vise handle, use a socket and breaker bar, whatever you got.

Always open and close the vise using your body weight, never lift it. It might even help to use a long 1/2" ratchet so you can position the handle horizontal for any position of the vise screw. A battery powered drill could assist in opening and closing especially with the clutches. They have some pretty decent "Oomph" these days. Be careful with your wrist though.

Have had a case of that through the years,started from running a cincinnati monoset at GM. Continual spinning the workhead with the left arm. A few years on the assembly line didn't help either. They gave us this strap to wrap around the arm near the elbo. Made a world of difference. Still use that on occasion. Find one at any drug store.

You have 40 Active Release practitioners in the Minneapolis area.

ART(R) Provider Location Search

All the stuff about vise handles, floor mats and yoga will help prevent it from re-occurring, and that's a good thing, but do yourself a favor and get rid of the tennis elbow first.

They gave us this strap to wrap around the arm near the elbo. Made a world of difference.

Those straps have a balloon pad in them that presses on tendons in the forearm. They work (my doctor recommends them), but it's still a band-aid.

Steve

You have 40 Active Release practitioners in the Minneapolis area.

ART(R) Provider Location Search

All the stuff about vise handles, floor mats and yoga will help prevent it from re-occurring, and that's a good thing, but do yourself a favor and get rid of the tennis elbow first.

Those straps have a balloon pad in them that presses on tendons in the forearm. They work (my doctor recommends them), but it's still a band-aid.

Steve
I guess you could say those straps were old technology. And cheap.

It seems to be the vise on the Horizontal that gives me the most grief. Hydraulic isn't an option for me. I found some good exercises to do that should help in the future. Tomorrow I am getting it injected again but hopefully I can keep them healthy with exercises and better methods to reduce abuse.

Getting old sucks. It is going to really suck when I am actually old. I am a very old 50 now.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Dan

I had an order for about the past 8 years. Broach a couple holes, drill and tap a couple holes. 250pcs a week, 52 weeks a year.

I know how you're feeling. I finally had to cancel the order after too many nights waking up in excruciating pain.

I don't have any advice for you, but stopping the repetitive motion made my problem go away.

Hated to give up $15K/yr worth of work though.

The pain comes from the vibrations of the muscles when using them.
Sliding a tight fitting sleeve over your elbow, will stop the vibrations a lot.
They are available at drugs stores or physio therapy places...
Good luck

The pain comes from the vibrations of the muscles when using them.
Sliding a tight fitting sleeve over your elbow, will stop the vibrations a lot.
They are available at drugs stores or physio therapy places...
Good luck

I have used one of these that I picked up at a drug store. It took some of the strain off from the elbow, reducing the pain. I think it helped it heal up more quickly as well.

my advice:
if two doctors both tell you not to have elbow surgery don't keep getting more opinions until you find someone that will do it. three years later and mine's still almost unusable

my advice:
if two doctors both tell you not to have elbow surgery don't keep getting more opinions until you find someone that will do it. three years later and mine's still almost unusable

Don't have surgery until after you have had Active Release (and then, you will likely not need surgery).

Mine was so bad that my two-year-old pulling at my hand had me screaming. It was better in a week, and gone in a month. No reason to use a scalpel at this point.

I have two friends with tennis elbow. Told both about my doctor. One refuses to go and is still suffering with it years later. The other is a lawn care guy who really uses his arms, and he went - no more tennis elbow.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but ART is the only way to go.

Steve

Back