What's new
What's new

Machinist Practice Test

BIG RICK

Plastic
Hey fellas Ive been in the trade for about 15 years. A supervisor for about 10 years. Now I went through my apprenticeship for 3 years but didn't bother writing my exam.Now that things are starting to turn at my company I feel I need to get my ticket for the future.Before I write my exam I would like to somehow take a mock exam Is there anything on the web that would have a mock exam. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Hi Rick, I just copied/pasted the title of your thread into a google search. The first two pages of answers all came back with a green check mark, indicating they are clean as far as mal-ware goes. This, according the the AVG software I run. So they are unlikely to harm your PC. I quickly glanced at a couple and this one looked promising to me:

http://trades.exambank.com/machinist.html

As I've said many times, I'm no machinist. So I have no way to tell if these tests are good or not. I've helped my wife a bit with finding similar tests for her nursing career, and the free on-line tests are a great way to check if she's ready, but the questions are always way different than on the real tests she takes. They are a good indicator of her readiness, though. They do not give her the answers to the real test though.

If you want to look for more, I saw many by just pasting your thread title into a google search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Machinist+Practice+Test&btnG=Google+Search

As you may know, it would be good to run some anti-spyware that checks for the safety of the sites before you go to them. I run AVG with good results. Expect your PC to run a little slower af6ter installing any anti-malware software, though. AVG is free for home use, and it's free: http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

Good luck with your test!:typing:

Hey fellas Ive been in the trade for about 15 years. A supervisor for about 10 years. Now I went through my apprenticeship for 3 years but didn't bother writing my exam.Now that things are starting to turn at my company I feel I need to get my ticket for the future.Before I write my exam I would like to somehow take a mock exam Is there anything on the web that would have a mock exam. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I don't really understand why you need to take this exam. If I were hiring you, I wouldn't care. You could score 100% right and still not really know how to make stuff.

In my opinion, it's hard to test machinists. The field is too big and there are so many ways to get the same problem solved. Plus, a lot of machinists I've known, including myself, aren't good a taking tests or going to main stream school. I'd probably bomb a machinist exam but I doubt you'd say I don't know how to make stuff if you saw my work.

You could check out some of the NIMS stuff. They have some written test samples, and also some drawings for practice parts that you have to make in a certain amount of time.

I don't really understand why you need to take this exam. If I were hiring you, I wouldn't care. You could score 100% right and still not really know how to make stuff.

In my opinion, it's hard to test machinists. The field is too big and there are so many ways to get the same problem solved. Plus, a lot of machinists I've known, including myself, aren't good a taking tests or going to main stream school. I'd probably bomb a machinist exam but I doubt you'd say I don't know how to make stuff if you saw my work.

John, I doubt you would bomb my test..

We give a written test but I look more at how they come up with the answer than anything else. It's all pretty much simple stuff. ie:

Chuck speed for turning a piece of 1045 steel is 200 RPM.... When turning the same piece only made from Aluminum should the speed be more or less?

A drill bit is marked HSS. What does that mean?

Which finish is rougher 125 or 250?

A bolt has 20 threads per inch. How far does it travel in 10 revolutions?

On the harder side I have a simple trig exercise. I provide a trig table and simple calculator. I want to see the thought process.

I also throw in a few questions relating to SFM & Feed rate.

You would be surprised by some of the answers.

If they ace the test & I like the thought process we just sit down and talk machining. After that it's all a matter of what happens in the first 30 days. (As long as they pass the piss test)

Walter A.

John,

Would you please post your Avatar in full size? I think I'd like to see what is on the coin. Maybe a seperate thread so as not to hijack this one? Thanks.

Cat

Walter the reason why i would like to write my exam is because im looking at possibly going into teaching a machinest class i love your little test though my friend i will have to use that in the future

Back