What's new
What's new

vernon O

ben80

Hot Rolled
I have a vernon O mill and read here that the spindle taper is a #9 Brown & Sharpe.

Can anyone verify this?

If it is I can use end mills on it, etc.

thanks

ben80

Very likely it is B&S #9, I don't recall hearing about any with a different taper. If you track down endmill holders, shell-endmill arbors, etc. they will work fine. Basically anything that works in a vertical mill- with the proviso that your y axis is quite limited, any tooling that adds up to ~5" inches or more of overhang won't leave you much space to move the table in & out.

I'd start by getting collets in the larger sizes (5/8, 3/4, etc, or at least the largest that come in B&S 9), then you can use any tooling with a straight shank of that diameter. Which probably means starting with that and snagging <any> B&S9 tooling that you come across.

Avoid tightening the drawbar too much, the B&S 9 taper self-holds very well. Too tight and the tooling will hold so strongly you'll have to disassemble the spindle to get it into a jig where you can really work on it- or perhaps worse, saw off the tooling and bore out the stub.

Regards,

Greg

ok

Hi,

thanks, its not a big deal or a rush. But if I can make the vernon more versital I will.

I like the machine and can see that doing some "verical milling" on it along with the Horz. could work out.

I am on the look out for a small vertical head the could go on it as well.

ben80

Ben, my Index vertical mill has the B&S #9 spindle. I have a set of #9 collets and other tools, such as some end mills with a #9 shank but hardly ever use any of them. I mostly keep my Universal Eng. "Z" collet chuck with a B&S #9 shank in it. I prefer the handiness of tool change at the spindle nose.

The Index has a pretty big Z movement but even if it didn't, the Z collet chuck only takes about 1-1/2" of it. Range, teensy to 25/32", (just over 3/4", I've squeezed 20MM in it).

Other collet types are available in B&S #9 shank as well, the ER40 series might be best, size to 1", very available in both inch and metric and likely to be "the one" for many years.

Obviously, when shopping for that vert. head, B&S #9 will keep your tooling costs down. I use them in my US Machine Tools horizontal as well.

Once in a while, an older vertical mill with big damage, (like a broken knee or even main casting) will come along, with a good head. Odd spindle tapers like a B&S #9 mill, usually very cheap, easily adaptable and lots of iron to recycle for $ and handwheels.:)

Bob

Back