What's new
What's new

Elliott Millmore lube data

AussiePhill

Plastic
G'Day Gents,

Does anyone have the lubrication specifications for a Elliott Millmore turrett mill?
I have just baught it to supplement my shop's equipment, but it did not come with any of the manuals, so finding out the lube requirements is my new mission.

The table feed gearbox takes "Shell Vitrea 37" which equates to 80W-90 gear oil (ISO 100). Easy fixed. But the head requirements?

Cheers,

Phill.

Phill, I happen to have that milling machine, it has been awhile since I serviced it.
I hope I remember to look tomorrow for the specs. and I will get back to you.
I may be wrong but I think I used 30wt non detergent oil in the power feed gearbox and the head was grease via. the zerks. The spindle bearings are angular contact, that's if I remember correctly.
Dave

G'Day Dave,

I could find no lube point, other than the one near the top of the quill area (on right as you look at the machine) which is a horizontal capped tube with a rotating barrel to keep the dust out.
I know where the drain plug is for the quill feed box (I think...), but not the filler..... Unless it's the plastic screw on cap at the top of the head, that goes around the draw-bar?

Now that's it's wired up, all I need to do is level it, and change the oils. Oh, and check the squareness of the head (regardless of the dowel), and it's ready to cut metal.

You never know, I might give the shaper an evening off, and make the mill do some work.

Cheers,

Phill.

Last edited:
Hey Phill, I have not made it to the shop yet to look for the lnfo you need. I am making arrangements to go pick up a lathe I bought on Sat.
I think you will find the fill plug on the very top of the gearbox, you may have to move the table to the very left to get access.

Dave

Finally made it to the shop,and I have the info. you are looking for Phill.

According to the manual

1- spindle grease nipple twice annually On mine it is located just below the chart for the spindle speeds It lists Alvania 2 Grease
2- table saddle and knee oil nipples daily
3- vertical knee slides oil nipples daily
4- vertical elevating gears oil can weekly
5- feed box oil can check weekly
These are all listed as using the Vitrea 37 oil that you mentioned

With all the grease and oil fittings there are listed 17 points to lube.
Phill if you can't locate all the grease and oil fittings , write back and will try to explain where they are.
I hope it works out for you, I have had my mill for about 15 yrs. now mostly trouble free, and I like the size of it.
Dave

Thanks Dave,

I know where all the lube points are on the table, saddle, and knee. The table power feed box is easy to drain and refill, through the respective points. I'll get under the knee and make sure the gears for the elevation screw are well lubed.

The place that has lost me is with the head.....
Where are the quill grease points? There are 2 posible points on the spindle itself, when you fully extend it. One through a large grub screw on the left, and approx' half way up the spindle. The other at the back of the spindle, near the bottom (had old grease in it). What is the proceedure here? Take them out and pump in grease through the hole?

Also, how/where do you lubricate the the power feed gears and bearings, for the quill?

I'll send youa PM with my email address, if you can reply to my email address, then I can send you some pic's of where I'm talking about. <GRIN> It may well shed some light on things.
But then again, it may be easier if I can get hold of a copy of the manual. If anyone has a digital copy, or wouldn't mind scaning it for me, it would be VERY welcome.

Cheers,

Phill.

G'Day Dave,

I have just been cleaning out the oilways for the table/saddle/knee, as the previous owner had been using grease! It was not a fun job. I had checked the slideways for galling before I baught it, and everything is perfect.
I also checked the threads on the elevation screw and the gears. The guy had put Moly grease on these parts. What a pain to clean up. Fortunately it has seen very little use from the previous owner, so no damage was done.
I also double checked the head for grease points, and there are only those on the spindle motor. There are also 2 on the table feed motor. I need help finding them all I'm afraid. Sorry to be such a pain. There are none just below the speed chart.

For everyone who is reading this thread, Moly grease in anything but a rolling element bearing (ball race, roller, etc) is an enormous no-no. The moly is very hard and acts like grinding paste in all other situations. Use only a lithium based grease for all other aplications other than rolling element bearings. Also the rolling element bearing must have it's own inner and outer races, as it is unlikely that a shaft etc. will be hard enough to withstand the molly being crushed into it. There are lithium based greases that are designed for rolling element bearings, and they are OK to use in them, but Moly grease is ONLY designed for rolling element bearings.

Cheers,

Phill.

G'Day Dave,

I have just been cleaning out the oilways for the table/saddle/knee, as the previous owner had been using grease! It was not a fun job. I had checked the slideways for galling before I baught it, and everything is perfect.
I also checked the threads on the elevation screw and the gears. The guy had put Moly grease on these parts. What a pain to clean up. Fortunately it has seen very little use from the previous owner, so no damage was done.
I also double checked the head for grease points, and there are only those on the spindle motor. There are also 2 on the table feed motor. I need help finding them all I'm afraid. Sorry to be such a pain. There are none just below the speed chart.

For everyone who is reading this thread, Moly grease in anything but a rolling element bearing (ball race, roller, etc) is an enormous no-no. The moly is very hard and acts like grinding paste in all other situations. Use only a lithium based grease for all other aplications other than rolling element bearings. Also the rolling element bearing must have it's own inner and outer races, as it is unlikely that a shaft etc. will be hard enough to withstand the molly being crushed into it. There are lithium based greases that are designed for rolling element bearings, and they are OK to use in them, but Moly grease is ONLY designed for rolling element bearings.

Cheers,

Phill.

Welcome to my "My Elliotts been greased Club" I have 3 pieces of Elliott (Mill,DH,Shaper) and all of them had grease where it should have been oil :(

G'Day Derek,

All I am willing to say is; "There's more than one in every village....." <LAUGH>

That is not particualy fair, but many people see something (like the oil fittings on the elliott's) and make an assumption, without checking to find out if they are correct. At least he didn't put Molly on the slideways. If he had done that, I wouldn't have bought it. The amount of work required then, to rehabilitate it, would have been too much for what he was wanting for the machine.

Does anyone know the differences between the Elliott Millmore, Elliott Millmore 10, and the Elliot Millmore Super 10?? I am curious as to the differences.

Cheers,

Phill.

Back