What's new
What's new

Magnetic base portable mill??

i_r_machinist

Titanium
I work at a powerplant. When a field job comes up all the oldtimers would say "Sure wish we had that mag base mill they sold during investment recovery." They would then launch into the story about how great this little mill was. It had about six inches travel on each axis, and was light enough for a man to carry. I personally have never seen such an animal. I am beginning to believe it is kin to the much feared,photographed, stuffed and mounted, yet never seen breathing, WEST TEXAS JACKALOPE!

Has anyone ELSE seen a mag base mill?
i_r_machinist

Maybe they were talking a portable keyway/slot cutter not magnetic though.
Clamp on unit with about 6 inches of travel.
BTW Mag mills can only be operated by Jackalopes. :D

We had one sort of like that at Ingersoll but with a bridgeport head on it and about 24 inch of travel on one axis, only 3 or 4 inches on the other. It was clamped or bolted to the piece needing treatment. It was used for rework on the road and rarly on the assembly floor for those little discrepancies that sneek in now and then. It was all black and oily/dusty so that you couldnt touch it without getting yourself all messed up too. It finally disappeared from our storage, probably just got left at one of our larger customers after a job.

I so happens I have one. It's called a TransMill. Cute thing. All aluminum scructure except for the ways which are cast iron side bearing against brass inserts.

4 speed, 1/2 HP infinitely variable DC motor, about 1/2" mill cap, Erickaon cllen spindle.

Would this happen to be it?
http://www.tripleellc.com/transmill.html
transmill2.jpg

Not a keyway cutter, portable clamp down mill, or mag base drill. All of which we have and use.

It IS the machine that Howitt posted!!!!
Now if I can just find a jackalope to run it!
Thanks!
i_r_machinist :D :eek:

Actually there are a number of such animals ,
there is a large company called
In-Place-Machining
they have a shop in Milwaukee and I think at least a few others in the east.
In the field theres alot of machining that has to be done "in-place"!
that is there specialty.
http://www.inplace.com/machining/index.html
http://www.fieldcmm.com/
searching out-fits like this may turn up alot of interesting stuff.

(I worked in a power-plant too In the 70s)
and would have stayed there if I had had any brains.

We have a Faro CMM. Both laser and a couple of arms. Unfortunatly I'm the only one that can run them so I get alot of crap jobs. Still better than production though. Never did field machining till I came here ('99). I love it. It amazes me everytime I hold a +/- .001" with these small machines. And some that are not so small.
have fun and thanks
i_r_machinist

"I am beginning to believe it is kin to the much feared,photographed, stuffed and mounted, yet never seen breathing, WEST TEXAS JACKALOPE!".....

....I now live in Missouri! ;)

"I am beginning to believe it is kin to the much feared,photographed, stuffed and mounted, yet never seen breathing, WEST TEXAS JACKALOPE!".....

....I now live in Missouri! ;)

Add "and had messages posted by,"

I've often mentioned having a versamil with about 4" x 16" travels (or thereabouts) and have used it for portable milling & boring. But it has to be clamped or bolted down.

OTOH, I recently retired a 6 x 18 mag chuck when the handle got too sticky to move.....

hmmmm, now if the magnet were to be cleaned out & re-greased, and suppose the versamil track was bolted down to the magchuck base with it flipped over....

smt

were i use to work we had a 2 meter fero arm on a 500kg lifting magnet, apart from being vertualy impossipble to carry it was awsome! simply take laptop arm and a small genny to object to be mesured and scan away!

on a mill though a magnet might be more aggro than a couple of right angle brakets and a asortment of plates u can weld - heavy tag up to suite. you dont have the travells the fero arm did! mag drills are great on big open structures but try something more confined and they can be a right pain! a magnetic base on the pictured mill probaly seams a nice idea except when u come to put it into practice due to the oftern weird and wonderfull places - objects u need to clamp to.

The worst part of field achining is not, "Do I have the proper tool?", but more often, "Which tool will fit in this space?". Not to mention room for the machinist.
The hardest job I had was drill out three broken bolts that I had to use a video camera to see. I'm laying on this piping, reaching behind a valve,drilling out this bolt with a dental drill, while watching a monitor. It taught me a great deal of respect for those doctors that do that type of thing.

Hello, the company BDS Machines from Germany have developed a new cross table base magnetic drilling and milling machine. If you are interested in the portable magnetic base mil please take a look at the machine. the model number is MAB 825 KTS, this machine has a cross table base which enables the machine to move X & Y axis (120 mm), you can attach an end mill tool on this machine to make Slots (key slots). The MAB 825 KTS can also perform drilling, tapping, reaming and countersink. This machine is complete made in Germany and is available in USA also. Please check the video for more explanation.

Website: Magnetic Drilling Machines & Annular Cutters | BDS Maschinen GmbH(R) - Made in Germany

Video:

portable magnetic base mill.jpg

Looks like you are about a decade late to the party.

Spammer is dredging up a couple of the postings as of late.

I wonder if they know how badly they are damaging their companies reputation ?

Let's hope corporate management does the right thing.

Last edited:

Back