What's new
What's new

Who makes a mag base mill????

jabezkin

Stainless
Anyone know about mag base mills?
I used one years ago, quite the ticket for certain jobs.

Cannot for the life of me think of the name.

About 150 to 200 lbs IIRC.

Thanks in advance.

I've thought of putting a surplus 6-18 chuck upside down under my Versamil. But the mill alone (with base) must go over 150 lbs, plus the motor. About 4?" x 16" travels, 6+" in Z. It's actually a rare application where the magnet would do me much good. Usually not flat, or limited contact to mount beside where the milling needs to happen. Still, could be an interesting accessory.

smt

TransMill, Climax. Both are dandy machines. Compact and versatile but they won't take mch of a cut. These are small machines (<150 lb) with a 6 x 12 magnet and about 6" travel X, Y, Z. I don't know if either are still in business but you see the machines on eBay once in a while.

HydraTight makes the geniSYS portable CNC mill, I think it has a magnetic base. There is also a swedish company called VMU AB that makes a magnetic base portable CNC mill. I am unable to find ANY portable manual milling machines with magnetic bases...

TransMill, Climax. Both are dandy machines. Compact and versatile but they won't take mch of a cut. These are small machines (<150 lb) with a 6 x 12 magnet and about 6" travel X, Y, Z. I don't know if either are still in business but you see the machines on eBay once in a while.
Just scaled my Trans-Mill...224 lb.s

Clausing and someone else made a drill press designed to be hung from the ceiling. Unlimited throat depth. Mount it on a bridge crane for easy moving.
Bill D

Back