What's new

Bandsaw Lift Cylinder Plumbing

• Thread starter TimAP
  • Start date
  • Replies 25
  • Views 4,415
T

TimAP

Hey Guys, I know someone can figure this out, had a slight stroke a month ago, and sometimes its hard to "get It"....

anyway, I attached a pic of what I have now, The controlled down is good sometimes, other times not at all, even with flow control wide open, everything is new. I think it might have something to do with the way I got things "T"ed together, but the bleeding brain just cant make a connection on the mess.

Please take a look and let me know what you think,,

Thanks,
Tim
Lift%2520Cylinder-1.jpg

I'd put a check valve on the line to the top of the tank as well, to stop air being drawn in on the lift - suction will draw air sooner than liquid.

Is the oil reservoir vented to atmosphere?

Thanks Robert Fournier,

That part is free, its a horizontal/vertical saw, I checked that last night and everything seems ok. I also made sure to manually operate the cylinder to check for binding, thats also OK...

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks Robert Fournier,

Ya Know, I thought of that this morning when I pulled the line off the top of the tank after I moved the arm up and down a few times, shot a stream of oil across my tool box and about 30 ft along the floor, had to clean it up promptly as I was told to do so I wouldnt track it around the shop, my wife still tells me I'm a good boy..

Thanks, I'll put a vent in and give it a try

Tim

Change the cylinder so the piston gets pushed on lowering, just looked at the cylinder on my saw, it has a barrel that is longer than needed, and the piston rod only extends 2 1/4", about 2" above where the piston stops is an elbow threaded in to the side of the barrel, at the bottom of the barrel is a flow check valve and mounted in line with that is a quarter turn valve, when the rod is pulled out it sucks oil from on top of the piston and the flow check controls the descent, very simple no tanks very little plumbing.

duckman, thats sounds like a very good idea, but to change the cylinder, I would need to do alot of modifying to the saw and pivot arm, I just looked and I think thats a big change to make..

Thanks Alot for the idea though..

Tim

Just a question, why would it matter if cylinder is pushed or pulled ????

Thanks Robert,
I thought it wouldnt matter, so went ahead and plumbed like duckman said, it looks nice and works good, no tank and all that extra garbage, looks clean and neat, thanks guys,,,

Take care,
Tim

Our saw at work had a dead simple system. It was made from a grease gun of all things and its been there 20 years.

When you lift it a one way valve lets the oil on one side it is built into the piston like a big poppet valve then a simple pipe with a nettle valve lets it come down slow, it is a closed system no real reservoir at all.

lift, when its closed and open the valve slow and set the feed, dead simple, you can make one from an auto parts store junk that will run for years.

oldbikerdude37...
It amazes me of how someone thinks of this stuff, everyone's perception of how something should work and to build it is what makes this world go around...

Thanks for the reply,
Tim

oldbikerdude37...
It amazes me of how someone thinks of this stuff, everyone's perception of how something should work and to build it is what makes this world go around...

Thanks for the reply,
Tim

Thanks I was always told Engineering is economic, and dont spend $100 on a $1 problem. The same works with your personal life.

I wish I had pictures now, you would love the simplicity and the ease of construction. I guess some of us good old rednecks use what we have.

Monday I can get pictures, it will be a head slapper to many,

oldbikerdude37, I would really like to see some pics when you get time.
Never know when something like that can be put to use.

Have a nice day,,
Tim

Just add a solenoid in line to the flow control. Get one that can run of the motor supply voltage. Now the saw stays up till you start the cut :-) Makes it a lot easier when setting odd bits - longer stuff than the stop will reach to length!

Thanks adama, that sounds like a good idea, I think I have a 110v valve somewhere in my STUFF, just got to decide where to start looking...But right now its time for a cold beer, thats more important than this bandsaw...

Thanks
Tim

Back