What's new
What's new

Satin Chrome My Rule

blake in spokane

Hot Rolled
Can older or non chrome hook rules, scales, protractor heads be satin chromed? This is like a Starrett stuff - pawn it off & get new satin chrome?

Definitely not worth having the process done post-manufacture. I'm certain you can get what you need from Ebay used for a reasonable price if you're not willing to put out for the product new.

Satin chroming is not especially difficult. The standard 33 oz/gal chromium trioxide, .33 oz sulphuric acid solution without brighteners will start to repeat the finish on the part and then will go to satin as it builds. The more the buildup, the coarser the finish. The biggest problem is getting an even coat since the current is attracted to edges and corners and builds them more. I have done lots of it, in the early days with a glass coffee pot and a Heathkit battery charger.

This post will attract the mandatory warnings about the dangers involved, so be ready for them. All you need is a little common sense about how you go about it. It does make nasty fumes, so ventilation is important. One of my friends has been in the hard chrome business most of his life. He is in the mid 70s and healthy as can be. Of course, he doesn't bathe in the plating tanks or hang his head over them and breathe the fumes.

Bill

Who discounts Starrett tools? Like a 36" rule? Is it called a rule, ruler, scale, yard stick?

I don't know about discounters, but I do know that there's a lot of sellers out there (and not just on eBay) that depend upon you being uninformed. That there interweb thingie is your friend.

If a ruled device has a groove and works with the combo square/ctr finder/protractor, it's usually called a blade.

If it doesn't have a groove and won't work with a combo head, it's a rule.

PEC Tools makes some nice "rules" in satin chrome, black chrome and even TiN coated. A 24" satin chrome hook rule is $39.95 with 4R grads, model 402-H24. See: PEC Tools - Hook Rules

This site:
Pec Tools #402-036 36 4r Satin Chrome Rigid Rule on Sale, Discounts

has the model 402-36 PEC satin chrome 36" 4R grad rule for $76.75 with shipping.

The only PEC rule I have is a 6" with 4R grads and a drill point gage. Comparing to my Starrett it is just as nice, the grads line up perfectly and in some ways is easier to read than the Starrett. The PEC says "Made in USA"... the Starrett does not.

-DU-

Who discounts Starrett tools? Like a 36" rule? Is it called a rule, ruler, scale, yard stick?

There are a few reputable resellers of Starrett rules on ebay, they buy rules from the Starrett 2nd's shop and resell. I've bought lots of tools from these guys and the rules/scales/blades are every bit as good as new...and I've bought quite a few of those too. There are some CH404R 36" rules listed now for excellent prices from a quality seller...these are the heavier rules (and they come with removable hook)...and very nice.

Side by side I actually prefer the 2nd's quality satin chromes rules to the best quality new finish. The 2nd's quality finish actually has a slight mottling that's easier on the eyes imo... and after a few weeks use the new satin chrome rule looks just like a 2nd's quality anyway.

PEC does make some decent rules, I have a couple...a 6" hook that came from a drill gage like David, and a black chrome easy read. No other 4R rule compares to Starrett's easy read imo...if you study the graduations on the 32'nds and 1/16" scales you will see that the graduation lengths on the scales differ greatly...with the Starrett being much easier to read imo.

It's all personal preference, but if you use precision rules a lot, like I do, I think the Starrett satin chromes rules are the best and easiest to read.

As an aside, I was just talking with the Starrett custom shop a few weeks ago about Left Right reading one side, Right Left reading second side 4R satin chrome rule. They've never made rules like this...only Bridge City does to my knowledge ( and Bridge City's graduation lengths are tough to read imo). The custom shop wanted apx. $550.00 to setup and make a 6" LR/RL reading rule in 4R, and over $700.00 for a 12" scale in LR/RL 4R. I only wish I that that kind of dough so I could own a one of a kind rule like that...something to aspire to I guess...lol . also fwiw All Starrett's precision rules are USA made.
;)

Last edited:
There are a few reputable resellers of Starrett rules on ebay, they buy rules from the Starrett 2nd's shop and resell. I've bought lots of tools from these guys and the rules/scales/blades are every bit as good as new...and I've bought quite a few of those too. There are some CH404R 36" rules listed now for excellent prices from a quality seller...these are the heavier rules (and they come with removable hook)...and very nice.

Side by side I actually prefer the 2nd's quality satin chromes rules to the best quality new finish. The 2nd's quality finish actually has a slight mottling that's easier on the eyes imo... and after a few weeks use the new satin chrome rule looks just like a 2nd's quality anyway.

PEC does make some decent rules, I have a couple...a 6" hook that came from a drill gage like David, and a black chrome easy read. No other 4R rule compares to Starrett's easy read imo...if you study the graduations on the 32'nds and 1/16" scales you will see that the graduation lengths on the scales differ greatly...with the Starrett being much easier to read imo.

It's all personal preference, but if you use precision rules a lot, like I do, I think the Starrett satin chromes rules are the best and easiest to read.

As an aside, I was just talking with the Starrett custom shop a few weeks ago about Left Right reading one side, Right Left reading second side 4R satin chrome rule. They've never made rules like this...only Bridge City does to my knowledge ( and Bridge City's graduation lengths are tough to read imo). The custom shop wanted apx. $550.00 to setup and make a 6" LR/RL reading rule in 4R, and over $700.00 for a 12" scale in LR/RL 4R. I only wish I that that kind of dough so I could own a one of a kind rule like that...something to aspire to I guess...lol . also fwiw All Starrett's precision rules are USA made.
;)

Nice post John.. Good information and well presented.

I prefer the C306R Scale in .020" since I can't see the .010" anymore. :)

I wonder what 100 pieces of your 6" LR/RL would cost each? I constantly get trapped trying to read the "Wrong" direction. I think it's a good idea.

Regards,

Stanley Dornfeld

Back