Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gordon B. Clarke
  • 1 Post By Gordon B. Clarke

Thread: Making bolts with lathe

Vale is offline Plastic

Default Making bolts with lathe

Hi, can someone give me some links or literature or give brief description how to make bolts with lathe?

I am new to this forum so I apologies if thread posted in wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Vale View Post
    Hi, can someone give me some links or literature or give brief description how to make bolts with lathe?

I'd start with a hexagonal steel bar and take it from there

I'm thinking "Are you serious?" YouTube and Google are available in Croatia.

358Mustang is offline Aluminum

You could start with hex stock the size you wish the bolt head to be, then just turn the stock to the major diameter and either single point thread or just use a die to cut the thread.

If you use round bar there is just an extra step on the mill, you can use a hexagon collet block (that accepts a 5C collet) and just clamp the block in a vise and set the "depth" then cut one flat, and rotate the hex block with your bolt still in it until you cut all 6 sides.

Vale is offline Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I'd start with a hexagonal steel bar and take it from there

I'm thinking "Are you serious?" YouTube and Google are available in Croatia.
    Haha , yes we have google and youtube in Croatia but I am writing my final work and I can't find literature on this subject in croatian or english language, but thanks with your advice

Quote Originally Posted by 358Mustang View Post
    You could start with hex stock the size you wish the bolt head to be, then just turn the stock to the major diameter and either single point thread or just use a die to cut the thread.

If you use round bar there is just an extra step on the mill, you can use a hexagon collet block (that accepts a 5C collet) and just clamp the block in a vise and set the "depth" then cut one flat, and rotate the hex block with your bolt still in it until you cut all 6 sides.
    Thanks

We use cold formers and roll threaders to make bolts here up to 1 1/4" dia. Haven't seen anybody try and make a bolt on a lathe since high school shop class 40 some years ago.

Vale is offline Plastic

Yes, we make bolts with cold formers and roll threaders for big series but we can use lathe for making small series of bolts and bolts which we can't make with cold formers.

Yes, we make bolts with cold formers and roll threaders for big series but we can use lathe for making small series of bolts and bolts which we can't make with cold formers.
    You know this but not basic threading?

Thread cutting on a lathe - YouTube

thread cutting on colchester lathe - YouTube

LATHE MACHINE THREADING - YouTube

It's always easier to start with bar that is hexagonal.

If you Google "Lathe threading" you'll get over 1,000,000 hits.

Why do I get the feeling you just want to copy text rather than write it yourself?
    digger doug likes this.

Vale is offline Plastic

You know this but not basic threading?
    As I said I am writing final work on subject ''Technology of making bolts'' so I am done with cold forming and roll threaders. Therefore I must also write something about bolts made with lathe.
    Why do I get the feeling you just want to copy text rather than write it yourself?
    I won't and thanks for links, I was getting bad results because I Google wrong term

As I said I am writing final work on subject ''Technology of making bolts'' so I am done with cold forming and roll threaders. Therefore I must also write something about bolts made with lathe.

I won't and thanks for links, I was getting bad results because I Google wrong term
    Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age but you're just about becoming likeable

Good search words for Google and YouTube:

Lathe, bolt, machining, cutting, screw, thread, threading. beginners etc.

Not sure about the USA but here in Europe when you say "bolt" it usually means a screw plus a nut. Notice the "usually"

Gordon
    Vale likes this.