What's new
What's new

DOM tubing pricing through the roof?

David Carlisi

Stainless
I have been buying several different sizes from the same supplier for roughly 10 years, but recently my regular sales rep. was promoted, and they put someone in his place that either is trying to gouge me, or have prices really gone that crazy? I'm currently looking for a new supplier in the southeast. Anyone have a recommendation?

I have been buying several different sizes from the same supplier for roughly 10 years, but recently my regular sales rep. was promoted, and they put someone in his place that either is trying to gouge me, or have prices really gone that crazy? I'm currently looking for a new supplier in the southeast. Anyone have a recommendation?

I dont know about the south east but it is very expensive here in the north west.

A few weeks ago my friends son went into his shop and found 20 feet of some nice tube, sawed it up and welded up a nice brush guard for the front of his 4 X 4. The dad was pissed and the kid in deep crap when they found out the tube was $11.00 AN INCH! :eek: The brush guard is worth more than the truck.

I dont know about the south east but it is very expensive here in the north west.

A few weeks ago my friends son went into his shop and found 20 feet of some nice tube, sawed it up and welded up a nice brush guard for the front of his 4 X 4. The dad was pissed and the kid in deep crap when they found out the tube was $11.00 AN INCH! :eek: The brush guard is worth more than the truck.

Wow! This is not That expensive, it went from $6 per foot to $9 per foot, back down to $7.50 per foot, up to $10 per foot at one point, back down to $9.30 per foot, and the latest quote is for $12.10 per foot. It doesn't sound like a lot of $, but I have to buy 80 feet at a time.. I really need someone to compete with this guy to keep him honest. By the way,the size is 1.25 o.d, .5 i.d, (.375 wall) if anyone happens to have some laying around... (The finished parts that I make are 2.30 overall length.)

If your previous sales rep still works for the same company I would call him up and find out what's going on. A former sales rep for one of our suppliers--we've been dealing with them for quite a number of years--has worked his way well up the management ladder and we still keep in touch. Having this relationship has come in very handy for solving a couple of problems that have cropped up. When it comes to business you can never have too many contacts...

If your previous sales rep still works for the same company I would call him up and find out what's going on. A former sales rep for one of our suppliers--we've been dealing with them for quite a number of years--has worked his way well up the management ladder and we still keep in touch. Having this relationship has come in very handy for solving a couple of problems that have cropped up. When it comes to business you can never have too many contacts...

I never thought about doing that, I will try. Unfortunately, this supplier has the area broken down by regions, so you get stuck with someone, like it or not.

On edit, my previous sales guy has been promoted to management. I left a message for him, he has not yet called back. I just called the outside sales guy who is looking into it. He did say that there had been a price increase on DOM tubing lately.

Back