What's new
What's new

Making leak detection fluid

rb1

Cast Iron
I like using SNOOP as a leak detector, but it seems every time I need to use it the container is empty as it has evaporated. THis is likely because I forget to cap the little straw that comes out of the bottle, but alas it happens.

So... does anyone have a good recipe for a bubbly solution using common ingredients? (please no "have you tried soap and water")

Hi rb1,

I used to use soap and water, but then I ran across this stuff that the propane company uses. It's a bit thinner, and it has a lot better staying power. They gave me about a pint for free, and I liked it so much I bought a whole gallon from them. That was about 10 years ago, and I still have at least half of it left. A friend of mine used it, and found a micro-leak in his blast freezer that was costing him about 100 bucks worth of Freon every other week.

As far as I know, it's just called leak detector.

Best wishes, Tom

I use Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. Just a little more concentrated than you would use for dishes. For tiny leaks, shake it up and apply the bubbles. They will remain on the part long enough to detect very small leaks.

Use the dishwashing detergent and water, but add about 30% propylene glycol if you can get some from the food store of pharmacy. It'll slow the evaporation and thicken the liquid a bit.

I buy the kiddie bubble blower toy at the dollar store. Don't know what it has in it to increase surface tension but it is safe, cheap and works a lot better than soap and water.

"but add about 30% propylene glycol" - this is also known as RV Antifreeze, the red stuff. Big box retail has it. Also good for putting in your pressure washer pump in the fall.

For teeny tiny leaks, pure methanol. Bubbles breaks loose and raise to the surface while they are very small, and they stand out like a sore thumb. Works if you can get the surface tension to make a drop stay put on the suspected leak area. I used to do that on HPLC 3 psi helium pressure systems.

I have a slab leak and i have contacted slab leak detection expert few weeks ago to fix it. But now after reading all those suggestions i will contact use them for sure and save my money for calling the expert.

Take a small container of Dawn. Add a little bit of water. Cut open a highlighter pen and remove the wick and put it in with the Dawn/water. The liquid will not only bubble but fluoresce as well. I used to use this trick servicing laser induced fluorescence detectors and it works quite well.

Back