robbor is offline Aluminum

Default Making propane torch

Anybody know where to find information on making propane torches?
    Im thinking about modifying a and existing torch or making new, also thinking of making a torch with multiply flames and bent for more rapid production of annealing brass for personal use.

Finegrain is online now Titanium

Search for "homemade propane torch". There are several sites detailing construction and modification of the "Ron Reil" burner.

I made a 2-burner forge a few years ago. Works great.

Regards.

Finegrain

adama is offline Diamond

You can also get just the burner heads from companys like siviet and add them to your own manifolds.

John Madarasz is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by robbor View Post
    Im thinking about modifying a and existing torch or making new, also thinking of making a torch with multiply flames and bent for more rapid production of annealing brass for personal use.
    What size and thickness blanks, maximum, do you want to anneal? This has everything to do with properly designing a system

johnnytorch is offline Aluminum

The Reil EZ burner is just that. Cheap, too.

http://www.abana.org/ronreil/burner.gif
    Last edited by johnnytorch; 06-05-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added link

Conrad Hoffman is offline Stainless

Neat! Not to hijack the thread, but does anybody know if there are any on-line plans to machine a glass working burner? The nice ones are way out of my price range, but it's more complex because oxygen is involved.

USMCPOP is offline Titanium

This guy has Reil-type burner plans, even a mini, and tube burners. He sells a few of the parts that are harder to come by. http://www.zoellerforge.com/

John E is offline Cast Iron

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
    He sells a few of the parts that are harder to come by. http://www.zoellerforge.com/
    Nothing he sells is hard to come by, if you look around a bit. I just built the mini sidearm he designed, and most of it came from McMaster. The key part is the tapered Tee. Got to be Ward brand. PM me if anyone wants more details on my part sources, or about what I learned building one.
    I think this design is easier to build, and much more flexible on the gas tips (tweeko mig tips) and adjustment of the tip location, than the Reil.

Here's mine:

John

SteveF is offline Stainless

If your "rapid production for personal use" is brass cases, this might work also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy6OwiuWV7A

Steve.

9100 is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    Neat! Not to hijack the thread, but does anybody know if there are any on-line plans to machine a glass working burner? The nice ones are way out of my price range, but it's more complex because oxygen is involved.
    What kind of burner are you looking for? Single tip burners are easy to make. I have made lots of them for special purposes like glass tubing sealing machines. If you don't want to get into the complexity of a bench burner like the Bethlehems, which are great, but complex, you can make a bench burner with a single center tip and others in a circle around it. You can buy needle valves at a welding supply store and control them separately, only limited by the number of valves you want to fool with.

If you want to pursue this, send me a PM so we don't clutter up this thread.

Bill

robbor is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    If your "rapid production for personal use" is brass cases, this might work also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy6OwiuWV7A

Steve.
    Thats what im making steve, I already turned and milled the case holders. I have 3-4 ideas on means of spinning the cases as the annealer turns. What im also thinking of is a multi flame torch head to have flame on both sides

9100 is offline Titanium

In the glass tube sealers and flame polishers I mentioned above, we used a shoe matching the radius of the wheel with a rubber strip glued to the inside of the shoe. The tubes rolled against it and made one rotation when they had traveled a distance equal to their circumference. Also, if the cartridges don't have big rims or too much taper, you can load them horizontally in a hopper and have them drop into notches in the wheel, pass by the flame, then drop off into a bin. You can scoop them off with a ramp to avoid a drop that might dent the mouths.

Bill

mm
    mm is offline Aluminum

robbor,

I just finished making a propane burner. I modified the Oliver upwind propane burner to be straight line, with a 6 foot handle. As he suggested, used a #57 drill for the orface, but drilled into an 1/8 pipe cap.

The regulator is my acetylene regulator with the output fitting changed to a male flair fitting to mate with the LP hose.

Sorry, no pictures, but check out www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oliverburner1.html

mm

Mcgyver is online now Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    Neat! Not to hijack the thread, but does anybody know if there.........
    people always say things like 'not meaning to hijack the thread but' ....rather than say that, which shows you know hijacking isn't appreciated, just don't do it......just start a new thread. There's a huge array of talent and knowledge and your Q will get much more exposure that way.

(no offence intended, stuck in China, grumpy from jet lag )

ReedReed is offline Aluminum

Default keith porter design type

I made a couple of Keith Porter design burners that have a relatively high efficiency compared to the usual pipe fitting designs.

I uploaded 2 pics that I have handy. The first is the burner, but does not have the sleeve that slides over the ports to adjust the airflow and is missing the flare on the end of the tube. The second is a pic of the accelerator tube that increases the flow of the gas stream.

- Reed

Quote Originally Posted by robbor View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ff-burnerassembly2.jpg   ff-burnergastube.jpg