What's new
What's new

New member question

Status
Not open for further replies.

slay

Plastic
Hi,

I am new to the forum and fairly new to machining. I had limited exposure to lathes many years ago but for all intents and purposes I am just starting out.

I managed to get a old northerntool 3 in 1 machine for free. Everything spins and the motors work but it was missing switches and lots of rust. I am disassembling the parts and using electrolysis to remove the rust and dirt and everything so far seems fine. The machine sat in a barn for many years apparently.

I am trying to remove the main spindle for the lathe portion. There is a vertical piece that has a pulley on one side and that connects directly through to the lathe spindle. I removed the chuck and got down to the bearings but now I am wondering how to remove the pulley. Seems there is a nut of sorts with 4 holes and that is takes a special tool to remove. I was hoping someone here would know what that tool is so I know what to look for and so I don't get the wrong piece.

Also, as far as the bearing are concerned in this housing, can they be removed and put back? Will it take a hydraulic press to put them back? It's hard to tell without getting the pulley removed.

Thanks is advance for any assistance you can provide.

-g

Slay, that type of machine tool is banned here, by the rules above. Your post will be closed. Kinda hard-nosed but that's where the line is drawn on this professional machinests forum and we like it that way.

Lurking here for a while will teach you the ropes and much more.

Bob

Slay, that type of machine tool is banned here, by the rules above. Your post will be closed. Kinda hard-nosed but that's where the line is drawn on this professional machinests forum and we like it that way.

Lurking here for a while will teach you the ropes and much more.

Bob

Professional machinists, sure. Like you. There are a lot of garage weekend warriors here.
So don't try to act like you are a professional.

I guess I will just find a new forum. I suppose it was wrong of me to assume that machinists on a forum would help a newbie out. Didn't know there were rules about the type of machine you can own. Later...

Don't know how Bob could have been any kinder. He stated the truth in a nice way. Slay, I hope you remain and add to the information on this forum. It is a great forum--the best on the internet.

I guess I will just find a new forum. I suppose it was wrong of me to assume that machinists on a forum would help a newbie out. Didn't know there were rules about the type of machine you can own. Later...

To Slay, don't get beat up over what kind of machine you have. I have observed many times
that new people are kindly kicked in the gut when they come to this forum. Lots of people
just like you are here. If you had just described that you were trying to remove some
parts from a spindle then you would have got a better reception.

The general rule is "no import machine discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back