What's new
What's new

Milling a slot...air blast direction?

jwfilion

Aluminum
Just a thought, If I were milling a keyway with a slot drill or whatever, and used a cold air blast to remove chips in the slot, which direction should I aim the nozzle? If I set it to blow towards the front of the cutter, I can't see what good it would do. If it was pointed from behind the cut, it would have a good path to clear out the chips, but perhaps blow them back into the cut. The chance of cutter breakage would increase greatly. Any thoughts on this? Perhaps at a tangent?

I generally set it to follow the cutter so it blows freshely cut chips out of the flutes thus preventing recutting etc etc.

However real life doesn't always work like that;)

Vacuum up the chips. Air blows the chips everywhere tripling clean-up time and often posing a hazard for man and machine.

I use a Sears cannister vac and a crevise tool with a notch in it. Straddle the cutter with the notch and it slurps the chips right up.

"Vacuum up the chips."

Have not done it yet at work, but I made up a vac nozzle for the Grizzly at the museum that attached to the head and allowed adjustment of the nozzle to clear the cutter or work. Not only was it great for slotting, it just made life easier in general with almost no chips flying around. I got the idea after a visit to the Auburn University engineering school machine shop where they had a Bridgeport with this setup. They actually had an adjustable height ring that surrounded the cutter and the hose going in the side. I didn't get that elaborate.

Hmmm...perhaps I should have asked this question before I made the air nozzle setup! I have used the vacuum often to cleanup chips after the job was done, but felt it would be tedious to stand holding the vacuum nozzle while waiting for the cut to end. A clamp fixture is now in the works. Suppose it would be a good reason to empty the B&D vacuum. Thanks guys.

Back