What's new
What's new

OT- 1957 Plymouth Dug Up in Time Capsole

Timw

Stainless
I saw this story on the Miller Welding Board. Tulsa Ok burried a new 1957 Plymouth in a time capsole and dug it up this week, 50 years later. I would post a link but that skill escapes me for most sites. If someone could ad a link. thanks, tim

http://www.buriedcar.com/

I think there's going to be streaming video. The vault was unearthed Wednsday, and there was a couple feet of standing water & watermark evidence of it reaching the top of the vault in the past...so everyone's hoping that the cosmoline & plastic bags held. Probably the coolest '50's nostalgia event ever!

The bag did not hold. Early photos as they were lifting it clearly showed part of a tailfin, taillight and bumper visible through a tear in the plastic. Red-brown with an even layer of rust, of course.

The steel capsule that held some of the extras in with the car, is also completely red with rust.

Pics here.

Doc.

Gee think of the marketing ideas here. I could sell a vault guarenteed not to leak a drop for 1000 years and charge big money for it. (offer void if opened early). By the time they open it I will be dust.
Kinda like the bronze caskets that are the worst way to preserve a human body but they cost extra, a lot extra.
Bill D.

How not to store your important stuff.

Takes some serious magic to keep something dry underground for extended periods. These boobs did not even come close.

John

My wife is from Oklahoma.....that's the color of Oklahoma red clay mud. It will be interesting to see what it looks like hosed off.

Still, I don't hold out much hope as if it was that damp in there and with no air circulation, I would think that the interior would be trash.

Paul

Thats sad. I have been reading about this for a week on USAToday. I figured it would be screwed up just from looking at the way the hole was set up from the beginning...Bob

Kinda like the bronze caskets that are the worst way to preserve a human body but they cost extra, a lot extra.
I used to work for a casket manufacturer -- it's a mighty queer business. They would gaurantee their caskets for 20, 30, 50 years, depending on model. It's a farce. Virtually every one that was ever dug up (from an underground vault) had leaked. The value of the warranty was worth more as a sales tool than what it ever cost in claims, as caskets are so seldom dug up.

The wording was interesting too: something like, "...warranted to be completely resistant to the entrance of air and water..." What the heck does "completely resistant" mean? Nothing, really.

Paula

It's a shame. I had one of those. My third brand
new car. (the first two were also Plymouth Belvederes
a 53 green and a 55 red and black) the 57 was yellow
and black. But it did have problems. Paint blistered
on the trunk lid and the rear quarter window mech.
broke and it took months to get a replacement part,
"that part isn't suppose to break". :)
Last Plymouth I ever owned till wife bought a van
in 1998 and now it's an orphan. :-(
...lew...

Paula, those casket warranties were just a statement of quality by the manufactuer. They didnt guarantee them to be air tight for 20, 30 years. The FTC would have been all over them for that. They were stating that "casket A" with its 30 year warranty is better than "casket B" with its 20 year warranty, usually dependant on the material or gage that is was made of. I was a Funeral Director for 18 years. Now, if they had put that car in a Wilbert vault, it would probably be in pristine condition today.

"If it ain't junk now...it will be after Boyd and his monkeys get their hands on it"

I know what to do. Give it to Mikey at OCC and see what happens. <g>

Kinda like the bronze caskets that are the worst way to preserve a human body but they cost extra, a lot extra."

that sounds really disgusting. what's with the
notion of "preserving" dead people?
the egyptians dried the corpses out, preserved
and mummified them.

by sealing a human body in a large, airtight
"mason jar" their remains would putrify into
a black slimy goo ....
i sure as hell don't want my survivors paying
extra for that .

i want the $200 pine box with holes bored on
the edges to let the critters in.

Let this be a warning to all of you-

Car covers are evil! Don't leave 'em on for more than a few days!

heh heh

Toby

The wording was interesting too: something like, "...warranted to be completely resistant to the entrance of air and water..." What the heck does "completely resistant" mean? Nothing, really.

Paula
This just scares the crap out of people....And dammit..I get it.....you?

Back