What's new
What's new

OT -Need help identifying tree

Luke

Hot Rolled
I was 12 in '82 and had the privilege of going to the West Indies (Nevis). There was a tree on the island that had small spikes/thorns on it. It was about 12-18" in diameter and that's all remember about it -aside from trying to climb it

My family called it the "Monkey No Climb" tree.

For the last 20 years I've wondered what it was. Does any one here have any clues?

Luke

Only one that comes to mind would be an "olivier de Sibérie" I have no clue what its called in English but they can grow quite big and they grow some pretty good spikes. We had one only about 8 feet tall, I used to hate mowing around it. They are really beautiful trees though. Leafs are a bit of a lighter shade of green.

Oh wow, that Sandbox tree is even crazier than what we had. Definitely not what I thought it could have been.

Thanks for the responses! That Sandbox Tree looks like the winner. Never heard of it before. Anyone ever see what the wood looks like or come across it on the market?

My encounter with the tree was quite memorable. The tree was growing out of the ground at a steep angle- like a pummel horse. My family and I were walking toward the cabin when I had the bright idea (I was 12) to run at that thing and flip over it. After that brief encounter I must of had 12 band aids on each hand!
Cris P gets the winning entry of the Sandbox tree.
A little more googling on trees indigenous to the area brings up that tree as well.

http://www.gotostcroix.com/flora/trees.htm

However I have not been able to find any pictures of the wood or even the wood on the market.

I'd love to back someday, but it I'm sure the island has commercialized.

Luke

Back