What's new

automotive tools/factory

• Thread starter HH
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 2,279

HH

Plastic
Ok everybody my 1st question,boy am I scared. Hope I do this right.
My cousin Has a Nissan Xterra 2003. He wants to do his own work on it. He's looking for a spanner wrench to adjust/torque the frount wheel bearings. He talked to the Chevrolet dealer in town where he bought it and the said " We can do it, but don't sell the tools".
I did a search and couldn't find any tools (but computers and I don't always get along).
I've taken meaurements of the Hole spacing (2 pins) and can make him one cheaper (I think) than he could buy one. I don't own anything newer than the 1970's.
Are any (service/Mfg.) tools avalible to the public/buyer to service there own cars?

Thank You for any help
Herb

Depending on the tools you have available I would be inclined to build one, perhaps a short peice of pipe with a couple of roll pins in the end and a cross hole for a handle? I am thinking a couple of bucks and a half hour. Welcome aboard, and the crowd here ain't that tough, I wouldn't be scared to talk to this bunch, they are A OK.

Thank you Kustomizer,

But yes I do have the tools/Machines to do this.
What I,m wondering is?
Where can the owners get the tools, and how much.
The dealership dosen,t want to talk about about it!>

i don't know exactly what type of tool you're describing but you can always call the dealer and ask them if they'll tell you the mfg/model number of their wrench and see what they cost online.

i'm all about making my own stuff, so i'd be inclined to agree with kustomizer but i honestly can't picture a spanner that would be made with a section of pipe so i may not know what tool you're talking about.

if i guess right about what type of spanner you mean though you'd probably have to do some welding on this, right? if you make your own though you could maybe machine a base to snap it on a 3/8" torque wrench and invent a new tool in the process...

find a part number and maybe you can find an engineering drawing for dimensions and go from there. pipes are only available in .5" increments when they start getting above 3" OD/ID though, so it may not be possible to just buy a section of pipe an appropriate diameter.

if they're those i would just buy one and spend the time machining something cool. too easy to break a non-heat-treated socket like that even if you install the pins really carefully. like i would never try to machine a pair of pliers even though they would be awesome it's just easier to pay for tooling that already exists most of the time

For GM and some of the imports, the dealerships get the tools from a company called Kent-Moore. If you look in the factory manuals for GM you can normally ientify them as they start with the letter J.

They can be extremely expensive new. They do sell to the public.

This is the web link http://www.spxkentmoore.com/. You can call and ask for a Nissan catalog.

However, you can find a whole lot of used ones being sold on ebay at any one time. I acquired a whole bunch of tools this way for transmission service etc. If you are lucky the tool you are looking for may be available.

Here is the tool you need and the dimensions. It was available from a source called "Ontool" but they seemed to have gone out of business. I'm sure there are other suppliers that have stepped in to fill the void.
BearingTool3.jpg

http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=2020
http://www.autopart.com/TOOLS/TOOLSMAIN/tool/T_4170.htm

the 2 links above are not necessarily for a Nissan, but may well work; The autopart link lists a 4170 tool for $12.12 and says it fits the Nissan Xterra. Just check the dimensions.

Not to be rude, but at least 2 of the responders posted links to automotive specialty houses, just as I did. I don't know how you can get much more direct than that. Typically there are a few tool manufacturers that make these kinds of things. K&D (carried by many autopart stores) OTC (Owatonna Tool Co) which is typically sold thru indutrial tool suppliers, Allied tools (typically sells thru automotive tool distributors) are just some than come to mind. If I was lazy, I'd drive about 10 miles to the Dayton Tool Crib and either purchase on one the spot or pay them to order one in for me. You could also go thru Motion Industries and look for a socket with the necessary dimensions from OTC. I guess one of the points I'm trying to make is that this is not just a Nissan tool, but a specialty socket that is made in different sizes for different applications. Sort of like trying to get an Oxygen Sensor socket for a 1996 Dodge Intrepid. If you keep asking for that tool, you are going to get a lot of blank stares. Ask for the correct size, instead of the application, and you get different answers. Lastly, apparently a well-known specialty tool manufacturer named "Kent-Moore" (available from the SPX link provided earlier) makes an adjustable one of these things. I searched for a picture, but could not find one.

if you don't want to go the directions listed
just pull over the next snapon/mac/matco/cornwall
truck you see,, my bet is one or all of them have what you are lookin for or can order it for you.

otc makes many types of specialty sockets for just what you are looking for, if they don't have a two pronged unit, look for a 4 prong that is spaced right and grind off the two you don't want.

no hill for a climber!

bob g

Thanks for the help and sorry my last post came in after some had posted sites for me. I should have waited until this morning before answering, I'll check on this today.
Jim, looks like that tool would work thanks.
I had planned on making one for him, but he was upset that no one wanted to sell one. He and I are old enough to remember when you got tools with the car you bought, now you don't even get a real spare tire.
Thanks again for all your help,
Herb

I would look on ebay. There are a ton of factory tools never even touched by the jamokes at the dealership. They eventually find their way out the door and onto ebay.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the dealer's shop and seen the mechanic using an impact wrench and a pry bar when 20 feet away there is a special built, paid for tool sitting in a plastic case.

Talked to my cousin today, told him about Your help and finding the tools for his vehicle. Boy that old Okie thinks he's in tall grass.
I still may make him one and do some Engine Turning on it so it looks good. A small pay back for all He's done for me in the past. Being simi Retired (I can never quit what I love) and having most of my machinery, I need something to do or I'll get old. :)
I've done all of my research/learning from books and the shops I've worked in, but You All are GOOD.
Herb

Back