What's new
What's new

CADCAM office in my tool box!!!

hexbasher

Cast Iron
thinking here

been kickin the idea around in head aboot buying a locker side cabinet for my 41" roller cab, which i want to build it up so my lappy is situated inside the locker. power bar inside and i'll just run a power cord to power (and i can hook some lil speakers up to my lappy as well!!!!heavy metal on demand!!!!!!!) and still trying to keep my cabinet semi-mobile to wheel-aboot

in 6 months i'll be responsible for 5 CNC machines and hopefully still doing some manual (the honest truth is i'm already missing my Okuma LS lathe)

we do have a second office totally set aside for programming, but having the lappy right next machining center is truelly a luxury

Can be done - actually if you think about what you're describing there are a lot of POS (point of sale) terminals that are of a design you could rob - enclosed computer with shielding over the sensitive bits.

If you can manage it, I might think about shielding for the keyboard - perhaps a cheap flat-panel monitor and a membrane-coverd full keyboard/touchpad for I/O to the device. Laptop keyboards are relatively sensitive beasts and a few sessions dripping coolant and/or chips into the keyboard/pointing device might not be a good thing...

Best thing is that this way the laptop itself would be completely independent of the I/O - you could unplug it and replace it, or take it away to do remote work and leave the screen and keyboard behind as needed.

I have a laptop that lives in my shop - mostly for entertainment but it does get used for lookups and random note-taking. Its keyboard needs regular cleaning just from the dust and random stuff in the air - it's kept well away from the chip-producing toys.

Alan

Yes I second mrchurchill... Put in a docking station and mount a full size keyboard and lcd monitor and keep the laptop out of harms way in a separate drawer.

Put in a docking station
Honestly, for the applicartion I think that's a bit overkill. I've never run into a laptop that needed one for just KB/rodent/monitor.

If you're connecting and disconnecting this thing on a multiple time per day basis then most certainly a dock is the way to go. If plugging it in and leaving it for days or weeks save the time and money and just go direct.

One other thing - cooling is a must. Don;t put a laptop in an unventilated container of any kind - you need airflow for those filthy little lap heaters...8*)

I would think about a small fan, mounted internally to the box toward the top and pulling in outside air through a foam filter to trap the bigger goobers. Positive airflow in the cabinet to keep out random dust incursion is a good thing.

Sorry - been a technogeek for far too many years...

Alan

I should have gone into a bit more detail when i said "so my lappy is situated inside the locker"

i was thinking of tig welding in a second self 4 inches or so below the one thats already build into the locker...roller bear sliders, pull out the shelf, unfold lappy.....pull up a chair

ok, this lappy is only worth 899 when it was on sale (spent 3 times that on mics alone)... so i'm not going to go though all this effort of getting a KB and another moniter to protect it and i think the locker will protect it fine, i may get a cover if i need too, but i'm not too worried about chips...all the previous programs always had their lappy's sitting on top of their soft cases on top of benches or tool boxs

Back