What's new
What's new

Metal Stamping Machine for Geodesic Dome Business

atxaaron

Plastic
Hey guys, I'm trying to find the right machine to increase productivity when making the dome poles for my geodesic domes. Right now I'm using a crank vise or 20ton hydraulic press which is very slow. I'm looking to spend around roughly 3,000$ for a machine that will 1. Stamp 3/4 to 1 1/2 in EMT or Mechanical Tubing or even harder bigger metals 2) Punch the 3/8 hole needed in the center at the ends of each pole (die set). Im not sure what kind of machine I need, been looking at metal stamping machines, punch presses, etc. Another problem I've been running into is where to find these machines, I've noticed if I want to get a machine at that price it will most like be an old machine 1920s etc. For a visual, heres a video of a similar dome manufacturer using a kinetic wheel metal stamping machine. I talked with him and got a lot of information, but the machine he got was so random, I figured I would give you guys a go, maybe you could send me in the right direction. Go to 24 seconds into this video to see the machine I'm referring to https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/650338936/aquaponic-garden-stage
-Aaron

yes either. pretty much any iron worker will do what you need. they are all designed for much heavier work. you should go visit somebody with one, or see it demonstrated doing your parts or similar before buying.

and mind your fingers!

they will however be saf-ER than that punch press in the video, there is NO stopping it from cycling really fast. at least a hydraulic iron worker is slow and steady...

If you have the dextarity for it, an old mechanical open face die press would have your parts zinging through. yes it is a roaring 20's machine, but it can really get the ball rolling on that sort of work. We have to make a half circle ring in ours out of 5/16 ss rod. our fastest time was 73 in a min. No way a hydralic iron worker can keep up with it.

The machine can be had for near scrap prices, but the dies are gonna cost you.

Caveat; keep this machine far from any morons reach.

I talked to the guy with the 30 Ton Ironworker and it was made in 1974. However the smash/trim/punch is divided up into 3 stations, will I be able to build the custom tooling required to do all 3 in one sweep, and will 30 Ton (220volt 3 phase) be enough pressure? He dropped his price from 2,700 to 2,500, I wanted to ask 2,100; what do you think is a far price for this 1974 machine? (said the blades were sharp/upgraded recently) See pictures..

@alonzo83 could you send me a link to one of these machines, not understanding how it works so fast, does it smash/trim/punch all at the same time?

IMG_20140212_192742.jpgIMG_20140212_192720.jpg

Give me 24 hours. I will post a video of it in action for about ten rings. . It uses a fly wheel to create a lot of downward force and smash/crunches the form you need, given you attach the proper die.

I will go in a little early and make some rings on it tomorrow.

I have been doing this exact thing for a customer.

Dies in the press brake to flatten the ends and cut to length, punch press to radius the end and punch the hole.

If your material is cut to length then a simple iron worker or punch press will make short work of it. You will need a good pin stop to keep the hole positions even.

Ed.

@alonzo83 I'm down to check out your machine
@moonlight_machine No employees, this is a small personal business with only a handful of people involved thus far. I will probably only allow certain people to use the machine.

@atrex57 Are you saying I should stick with the ironworker I posted above^^

@alonzo83
I'm not sure if thats the machine I need, your pieces look very small, the poles I would be using are 1 1/2 in wide and I need to cut them out of 10ft standard to 4ft each and flatten both ends with 2 holes in the middle. Maybe I just don't understand the machine, is that an example with smaller parts? Whats its Pressure?

How thick of tubing are you forming, what kind of material?

The flywheel on this gives it quite a bit of force. This is bending and shearing 4" X 5/16 ss round in one shot it is fairly rigid stuff.

I am not smart enough to do the math for you maybe someone can chime in and say a similar machine would/would not be a good fit. These presses come in all shapes and sizes that work just as fast.

that is at least a 10 ton press that alonzo is showing you. that type of press is called an OBI and is powered by a flywheel that engages a crank shaft when a clutch is engaged. once it is tripped it goes. when you say no employees only certain people will use it. what does that mean? your kids? if a minor gets hurt one one of these things you better be prepared to lie to the ER. zillions of parts have been made on similar machines and millions of fingers have been cut off. they are dangerous and pretty hard to make legal.

that is at least a 10 ton press that alonzo is showing you. that type of press is called an OBI and is powered by a flywheel that engages a crank shaft when a clutch is engaged. once it is tripped it goes. when you say no employees only certain people will use it. what does that mean? your kids? if a minor gets hurt one one of these things you better be prepared to lie to the ER. zillions of parts have been made on similar machines and millions of fingers have been cut off. they are dangerous and pretty hard to make legal.

John is right. This tool is a hazard. Only myself and the owner of the shop run it. The clutch is mechanical and has a mind of its own and will activate on a whim. If you noticed in the video when the press jammed up from water in the lines I pushed the finished product out with the rod, not my hand.

I revert to my caveat of keeping morons away from this machine.

Back