What's new
What's new

Rant

nigelw

Aluminum
Hello,

Recently I put a post on here titled 'Sealant' .This was closed after one day due to apparently a 'meaningless topic title'.

I fail to see how it is a meaningless topic title when that was exactly the topic I needed advice about. The thread has had 278 views (276 since it was closed), one of which could have posted a reply that was of some help. I have tried sending a message to the moderator who deemed it meaningless but have had no reply as to his or her reasoning. Hopefully they will read this and get back to me

Nigel

That's kind of like a thread titled- Metal: or Machine:

I believe the reasoning is to keep the search function a bit more specified. Others might have more of the reasoning. Chances are this thread title won't get out of diapers before it sees the man in black.

I believe the topic has to be well defined so when members search the forum years from now it will pop up and may solve their problem without rehashing it.

PS "Rant" won't work as a topic either.

Sealant? There are millions of kinds and applications of sealants.

You've got room for a whole bunch of characters in the title. Try to post a summary of your question in the title, then compose the entire question in the body. Low or high pressure, steel, glass, low or high temperature, as difficult as hydrogen, or as easy as water? There is a lot of ground to cover, and the more on point you make your title the better the responses.

If you repost your question with a significant title I expect it will not be locked unless its about keeping the oil from leaking out of your harbor freight wong way mill drill.

i don't expect this to last long but annoyed that no explanation was given after asking twice for one.
Only wanted one so that If needed i can be more specific in future to avoid it happening again

i don't expect this to last long but annoyed that no explanation was given after asking twice for one.
Only wanted one so that If needed i can be more specific in future to avoid it happening again

You were supplied with the requirements when you signed up, if I recall the process. If not, the first thing I would do when warned by staff that I screwed up is read the site rules and sticky topics, because obviously they have some unique or unusual requirements I'm ignorant of - and I go fix that on my own without causing waves in a forum that got along perfectly fine without me until I arrived.

Hello,

Recently I put a post on here titled 'Sealant' .This was closed after one day due to apparently a 'meaningless topic title'.

I fail to see how it is a meaningless topic title when that was exactly the topic I needed advice about. The thread has had 278 views (276 since it was closed), one of which could have posted a reply that was of some help. I have tried sending a message to the moderator who deemed it meaningless but have had no reply as to his or her reasoning. Hopefully they will read this and get back to me
"sealant" could indicate so many different types and uses. Also, are you selling sealant, do you want to use sealant, are you have trouble with a sealant..... the word alone is meaningless, thus the lock. The current topic title is also meaningless....a rant about WHAT ?

Why some folks are so lazy about writing topic titles never ceases to amaze me....they will write an epic post but then write only one word for a title. WHY ? I've only left this one open long enough for you to be informed by members other than me.

The point is, write a title that does not require everyone to open it just to find out what you actually want to tell us.

Good titles do a lot to let members know whether or not they might want to read a particular thread. One word titles (sealant, rant) don't satisfy that need.

Sealant for coolant tank
Sealant for hydraulic fittings
OT: Sealant for leaking gutter
OT: Sealant for leaking gas tank
OT: Sealant for leaking bladder

Rant about high price of aluminum
Rant about careless employees
Rant about why my one word title thread was locked

etc., etc., etc.

It is also nice to have more detail as to location. It may affect the advice given because some things are more readily available in some countries.

Sheffield England?
Sheffield Alabama?
Sheffield Massachusetts?

OP, Apparently you like single word titles. I am surprised this one was not closed due to meaningless title. That aside, the odds of someone connecting your "sealant" thread to your "rant" thread are mighty slim. Did it occur to you to start a new sealant thread with descriptive title? It is hard for me to imagine a single word title that carries adequate descriptive meaning to be useful. Well, maybe "Lame"....

Denis

sealant.JPGrant.JPGYour title is worthless for a search.Your new title is worthless for a search.Look at these search results.Yes Google searches will show Practical Machinist threads.
21 million hits for "rant" Your thread will never be of future use to anyone.Archived for nothing.

And yeah,when I see "rant" I wanna see something about a jackass in a shop fucking something up and you are pissed OR how you are about to give-up and buy a Hot Dog cart and take it easy.Otherwise my time was wasted opening the thread.

edit,welcome to PM,,,ask a descriptive question,I am sure you will get an answer.

This forum is owned by Milacron...

In here he is god.

When we choose to come in here, we are his bitches..

Just be thankful he is very reasonable with what gets allowed to be posted..

I have been in other forums where they are patrolled by what could only be described as forum nazi's. This one is much nicer....

Back