What's new
What's new

Meuser lathe, looking for thread chart picture

mart.

Plastic
Hello - i'm new here so sorry if this isnt the right place to post this.

i just bought a Meuser M0L Lathe and the thread chart is all scuffed and partly unreadable. i'm looking to find someone who has one and can take a picture for me that i can keep as reference. i think the original owner used to put his chuck key there...

80850581.jpg

thanks!

Martin

They are still in business.. That model Lathe is still being made.

Top notch lathe, just get a new plate... And make a chuck key hanger... That abuse is kind of like hanging caulked logging boots, off the drivers side mirror, of your Rolls Royce.

Startseite | ETM Meuser Maschinen | Drehmaschinen, Drehmaschine, Drehfutter, Schutz, Maschinen, Drehbank, Hersteller, Überholung, Drehfutterschutz, F

and Info is : [email protected]

They say they support machines back to 1925....

Here is a catalog that shows many pictures (not clear enough for chart use)
http://www.meuser.de/images/stories/pdf/meuser drehmaschinen l typen.pdf

Last edited:
Have 2 Meuser lathes here ..
I know one has the same issue....but the other is perfact.
I'll have my littlt girl take a pix of it and post it here to get you going.
Best to get a new one if you can.
Robbie

My daughter has only her I phone, pixs not sharpe
The batteries were dead in her camera.
Will try again tomorrow.
Robbie

PS
I also checked manual
No charts in the manual.

I have a idea!
I'll sell you the charts for $13,000 and I'll throw in the lathe!!
HAHA
This lathe wii be posted in "PM Classified" soon.
Robbie

That's the exact same lathe we have at work, raised to 48".

hey mike, how do you like working with it? from what i've read, experienced machinists dont like the meusers because of the unconventional controls. this is my 1st lathe so it shouldnt be an issue.
any chance of getting a clear picture of the chart?
cheers

As a 48" machine, it's a useless piece of junk. Just way too much swing for the bed and everything being built for a 16" lathe. I imagine in your configuration it is a very nice machine, though. I was taking some stupid deep cuts on 10" work (like 1/2" or more depth of cut) and the machine had no trouble pulling the cut. The compound on this 48" one sticks up about a foot on a block, as does the tailstock, so the issue became chatter.

Ours has been terribly abused over the years and somebody has been into the QC box. The carriage mounted motor control doesn't work and the clutch isn't right, so I consider the thing a serious safety hazard to run. If anything goes awry, you have to run around the work and chuck to get to a crappy drum switch mounted to the back side of the headstock to stop it and it has to coast to a stop.

The QC box, from what I can tell is pretty straight forward, but I do think this machine has some of that German engineering for engineering's sake going on. It has three QC shifters and three dials to set up threads and feeds... why? I far prefer just a tumbler type QC with a couple of shifters for ranges and maybe one for metric/imperial threads. The dials on ours have had the handles broken off, so the obvious solution (instead of turning some new 2" long handles) was to put a #$%^ing PIPE wrench on the dials to turn them. Of course, if it didn't move, they just pulled harder (instead of rotating the gearbox so it would slide into gear). The numbers on the dials are now obliterated by pipe wrench jaw marks, so you have no idea what your feed rate is without putting an indicator on the bed and timing the carriage movement, then dividing distance by rpm to arrive at feed per rev. I don't see any possible way you could thread on it in this condition.

I was on another lathe when I heard some guy over there shifting the headstock gearing with the spindle still turning when he wanted to change speeds. He just crunched and ground until it was running the speed he wanted. Everybody there seemed totally unaffected by the carnage. Apes.

Attachments

• IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 811
I need your mailing address .
I had photo the charts and scanned copy's for you.,clear and good details.

hey mike, how do you like working with it? from what i've read, experienced machinists dont like the meusers because of the unconventional controls. this is my 1st lathe so it shouldnt be an issue.
any chance of getting a clear picture of the chart?
cheers

IYour concerns on how comfortable it is to operate ???
It's your first lathe !
They are good machines strong ,versatile machines well constructed.
PROS & CONS
It shares same feature as on several European machine as well as the British Clausing Colchester
For me after operating American machines over 50 years,the right hand carriage wheel takes a bit of getting use to.
The machine sits lower then I like. It makes me bend over the same like on the Monarch EE.

Carriage lock is solid as well as the cross slide stops.
Carriage controls are smoother. shifting directions of feeds "on the fly"
The slotted cross slide provides you tooling options.
A greater threading range capacity and choices.
The gap bed also is a plus.

Regards
Robbie

"They are still in business.. That model Lathe is still being made."

wonderful.

is that machine imported to the US?

how much would one cost?

that would surely answer the sore question " who makes a quality modern lathe ?

If anybody cared to actually go the sites I linked before...

When it comes to this forum, I prefer to use the words I know vs I think.... A few clicks of a mouse, doing a quick search, prevents False information being spread..

Yes they still make them brand new, according to their website. Neumaschinen | ETM Meuser Maschinen | Drehlänge, Spitzenhöhe, Antriebsleistung, Spindelkopf, Hochleistungsschnelldrehmaschine, Spindelbohrung, Groß

Yes they rebuild them also.. Their lathes are worth rebuilding... Since they have all the patterns, if a tailstock quill bore is worn, they will make a new tailstock...

And if you doubt a factory rebuilt Meuser machine, will not be like brand new... You just don't know the Germans very well. They are familier with a certain Dr. Georg Schlesinger.

They have been making machines since 1925, AND are still around, as a full blown manual lathe maker...

Unlike Monarch, Hardinge, ATW, and any other US brand except Standard Modern...

Of course no prices listed... You have to ask if you can afford it over there... And with dozens of variations required by each customer... Wiring, guarding, options, assys...

Anyone jacking one up to 48, and beating the snot out of it, should expect a few problems... Even a Pacemaker should not have pipe wrenches used for gear changes...

my deutsch is a bit lacking ,

still..... what does a new 16" cost ? $20k,$30k,$40k,

anyone know?

I have just listed this up on ebay Item # 181053585511
Take a look.

I listed it here on PM "for sale" a couple of weeks ago.

My bride wants her garage back.
Best to make her happy!

Robbie

If all else fails, try lathes.co.uk they can be called or e mailed and seem to have a handle on just about anything you need to know. :codger:

Back