What's new
What's new

Meuser M50R Radial Drill, Experinces and Opinions Wanted

inwoodcutter

Cast Iron
Just picked this up. I would normally ask for this kind of feedback before I drag something like this home, unless as in this case the price is right. I've only used my 4' Carlton for basic stuff. What about this Meuser is going to be different, better or worse? Any quirks to running and maintianing it? What experiences has the group had?

Dan

Attachments

• 20160308_171317.jpg
    20160308_171317.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 20160308_171329.jpg
    20160308_171329.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 20160308_201929.jpg
    20160308_201929.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 339
  • 20160308_201939.jpg
    20160308_201939.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 336
  • 20160308_201948.jpg
    20160308_201948.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 245
Good name far as I know. That one looks reasonably modern. All hydraulic clamping of column rotation, arm to column clamp and head to arm clamp looks like. Presume it was the usual deal where you were the only one at the auction willing to take 'er on, and got it for next to nothing right ? :)

Needed some chain on that thing...not those whimpy straps....

Presume it was the usual deal where you were the only one at the auction willing to take 'er on, and got it for next to nothing right ? :)

That would be the usual case but this was one better. Seasoned business owner gave two young guys who are trying to start up a break. All I have in this thing so far is gas and time.

Needed some chain on that thing...not those whimpy straps....

I'll admit I was a little white knuckled on the 1 hour drive home. She didn't move on the trailer but I definitely knew it was there. Personally I don't like putting chains across a machine with ways.

I'll admit I was a little white knuckled on the 1 hour drive home. She didn't move on the trailer but I definitely knew it was there. Personally I don't like putting chains across a machine with ways.
3/8 chain across the base in at least two places with old firehose, canvas or carpet to protect the iron corners and table surface, straps ok to wrap in loop around the arm in a couple spots as long as done soas there are no sharp edges on straps that might cut or fray the nylon. Boards nailed to trailer deck so base can't shift.

Now, enough rigging chatter...someone tell the OP that Meuser M50R is a sweet radial :toetap:

Last edited:
For what hes got in it how could he go wrong? That drill is a beast! You'll be twisting tangs off in no time.

Brent

Nice rad.

I have no experience with the drills. but our meuser lathe is an outstanding machine.

it can hold .005 over a good distance six feet+. It has a lot of power to spare, plenty of feeds to chose from. I would not think twice about getting other meuser equipment.

You have a nice machine there.

Regards,
Alonzo

We moved it into place yesterday afternoon. I've never seen a 36" band saw look so small. I haven't had a chance to see if I can wire this 220 or if I have to do 480. If that is the case I'll be on the hunt for a transformer. This is a temporary home for it and the band saw will moved for now. The shop's just a little crowded to do all the moves now, especially with the rain.

I actually like the rigging discussion. So here's the thing I see with chains low over the base. A chain or strap low over the load like that has less holding power down to the deck than one much higher because of the angle across the load. The closer the tension of the strap/chain is to the direction the the load is to be held the more force the load is held down with. So I'd rather go high than have a load strapped over a low point.

Attachments

• 20160309_172953.jpg
    20160309_172953.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 212
  • 20160309_173017.jpg
    20160309_173017.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 20160309_173430.jpg
    20160309_173430.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 227
We moved it into place yesterday afternoon. I've never seen a 36" band saw look so small. I haven't had a chance to see if I can wire this 220 or if I have to do 480. If that is the case I'll be on the hunt for a transformer. This is a temporary home for it and the band saw will moved for now. The shop's just a little crowded to do all the moves now, especially with the rain.

I actually like the rigging discussion. So here's the thing I see with chains low over the base. A chain or strap low over the load like that has less holding power down to the deck than one much higher because of the angle across the load. The closer the tension of the strap/chain is to the direction the the load is to be held the more force the load is held down with. So I'd rather go high than have a load strapped over a low point.
My point was to do both.... chains on the base and straps looped around the arm. If your trailer is not a POS you can use screw type chain binders and get the chain very tight indeed. Plus nail or screw boards around the base so it can't slide any. The last bit is optional...depends on how far you are going.

Also, ideally the arm should have been locked via metal strapping into forged eye bolts (in T slots of the base and/or the little riser table) so there would be no way it could swivel in case the hydraulic locks gave way during loading or unloading.

Well I'm embarrased to say but we just got around to wiring this up. Spindle speeds & feeds work fine and I can raise and lower the arm no problem. One thing neither Neal or I can figure out is how to release the clamps to swing the arm or move the head laterally on the arm. I thought the toggle switches on the controls would do it but we're getting no response. Anyone know where I can find a manual for this? Any ideas on how the clamps work?

Dan

Attachments

• 20170516_195002.jpg
    20170516_195002.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 20170516_195012.jpg
    20170516_195012.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 20170516_195024.jpg
    20170516_195024.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 131
I ran a radial (G&L) as one of my first jobs being a full time machinist, and have run several in the course of making stamping dies. A good radial is a versatile machine that will knock out holes on big work pieces fast. I would really love to have another radial sometime in the future when the budget and the shop are larger. I'm not familiar with the Meuser brand aside from some smaller tooling but seems to be of good quality. The beast you snagged will be a great addition to your shop and if I were the new owner I'd be bragging about it too. If you've never owned/operated one of these do be careful of long hair, sleeves, and the long chip curls. The chips will remove a finger in short order and the drill will even notice if you're wrapped up in the spindle. They're great/versatile machines but there's plenty of potential for injury when using them. Learn how to do an interrupted feed to break the chip curls, they'll bite deep or wrap your hand up. Good buy, good luck.

Back